100,000 evacuated as typhoon merbok hits South China
Torrential rain continued Tuesday in Shenzhen after Typhoon Merbok made landfall in the city Monday night, and more than 100,000 people had been evacuated to safety by Tuesday morning, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
From Monday morning to Tuesday morning, the city reported average precipitation of 81 mm (3.2 inches), with 219 mm (8.6 inches) reported in the region where the typhoon landed, the city's flood control and drought relief headquarters said.
Those evacuated include people who work outdoors and many living in old and at-risk houses and prefabricated structures.
A total of 2,198 fishing boats returned to ports to take shelter from the storm. In addition, 232 flights were canceled in Shenzhen.
The city has not received reports of casualties and major losses.
As heavy rain continued, the headquarters ordered more measures to guarantee the safety of construction sites, migrant workers, reservoirs, sea dikes and underground space.
yphoon Merbok, the second typhoon of the year, made landfall in Shenzhen at around 11 p.m. Monday, according to the National Meteorological Center.
The typhoon was reduced to a tropical storm after making landfall, packing maximum wind of 23 meters per second (51 mph) at its eye.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 09.02.20188 killed, 3 missing in south China road collapse
- 09.02.2018Islamic State begins to earn money through online casinos
- 08.02.2018Airstrikes kill 54 civilians in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta
- 08.02.2018Erdogan, Rouhani hail increased cooperation on security - UPDATED
- 08.02.2018Turkish, Iranian presidents have telephone conversation
- 08.02.2018Turkish, Iranian, Russian leaders to meet in Istanbul for Syria
- 08.02.2018North Korea says no plans to meet U.S. officials at Olympics
- 08.02.2018Aftershocks rattle Taiwan as quake toll rises to nine, 62 missing
- 08.02.2018Turkey captures PYD/PKK tunnel network in NW Syria
- 07.02.20182 killed, 188 injured in Taiwan earthquake - UPDATED
- 06.02.2018Russian trade representative building bombed in Damascus
- 06.02.2018Strong Taiwan quake topples buildings
- 06.02.2018Turkey makes PYD/PKK's 4-km ditch in Syria unusable
- 06.02.20182018 Winter Olympics: Drinking water from Pyeongchang Olympic area infected with virus
- 06.02.2018China says carries out another anti-missile test
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman