100,000 evacuated as typhoon merbok hits South China
Torrential rain continued Tuesday in Shenzhen after Typhoon Merbok made landfall in the city Monday night, and more than 100,000 people had been evacuated to safety by Tuesday morning, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
From Monday morning to Tuesday morning, the city reported average precipitation of 81 mm (3.2 inches), with 219 mm (8.6 inches) reported in the region where the typhoon landed, the city's flood control and drought relief headquarters said.
Those evacuated include people who work outdoors and many living in old and at-risk houses and prefabricated structures.
A total of 2,198 fishing boats returned to ports to take shelter from the storm. In addition, 232 flights were canceled in Shenzhen.
The city has not received reports of casualties and major losses.
As heavy rain continued, the headquarters ordered more measures to guarantee the safety of construction sites, migrant workers, reservoirs, sea dikes and underground space.
yphoon Merbok, the second typhoon of the year, made landfall in Shenzhen at around 11 p.m. Monday, according to the National Meteorological Center.
The typhoon was reduced to a tropical storm after making landfall, packing maximum wind of 23 meters per second (51 mph) at its eye.
Related news releases
- 22.10.2017Super Typhoon Lan to make direct hit on Tokyo
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 15.06.2017One wounded in missile attack on UAE ship off Yemen coast
- 15.06.2017Two pilots of missing Malaysian military aircraft found dead
- 15.06.2017Deadly explosion rocks Chinese kindergarten and kills at least 7
- 14.06.2017Saudi soldier killed in landmine blast
- 14.06.2017Turkish court remands 34 FETO suspects in custody
- 13.06.2017Oil prices edge up as Saudis limit exports to Asia, U.S.