17 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
At least 17 PKK terrorists were killed Saturday in counter-terrorism operations in northern Iraq, and eastern and southeastern provinces of Turkey, officials said, APA reports citing Anadolu.
According to a statement issued by the Turkish General Staff, Turkish security forces used drones to target PKK terrorists in northern Iraq’s Nirva Seytu mountain region, killing two terrorists.
Meanwhile, two Turkish soldiers were seriously injured by makeshift explosives planted in the same area. The injured soldiers were taken to Hakkari State Hospital.
In a separate air-backed security operation in Turkey’s southeastern Hakkari province, 11 PKK terrorists were killed by security forces, a military source said.
Two Turkish soldiers were martyred and seven others injured by makeshift explosives in Cukurca district, the source added, speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Separately, three more terrorists were killed during an operation in a rural area of eastern Erzurum province, according to the governor’s office.
One Turkish soldier, who was seriously injured in the operation, later succumbed to his wounds in hospital, a statement said.
In southeastern Siirt province, six PKK terrorists surrendered to security forces during an operation, the governor's office said, adding another terrorist was killed.
More than 1,200 people, including security force personnel and civilians, have lost their lives since the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July 2015.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city