17 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
At least 17 PKK terrorists were killed Saturday in counter-terrorism operations in northern Iraq, and eastern and southeastern provinces of Turkey, officials said, APA reports citing Anadolu.
According to a statement issued by the Turkish General Staff, Turkish security forces used drones to target PKK terrorists in northern Iraq’s Nirva Seytu mountain region, killing two terrorists.
Meanwhile, two Turkish soldiers were seriously injured by makeshift explosives planted in the same area. The injured soldiers were taken to Hakkari State Hospital.
In a separate air-backed security operation in Turkey’s southeastern Hakkari province, 11 PKK terrorists were killed by security forces, a military source said.
Two Turkish soldiers were martyred and seven others injured by makeshift explosives in Cukurca district, the source added, speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Separately, three more terrorists were killed during an operation in a rural area of eastern Erzurum province, according to the governor’s office.
One Turkish soldier, who was seriously injured in the operation, later succumbed to his wounds in hospital, a statement said.
In southeastern Siirt province, six PKK terrorists surrendered to security forces during an operation, the governor's office said, adding another terrorist was killed.
More than 1,200 people, including security force personnel and civilians, have lost their lives since the PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S., and the EU -- resumed its decades-old armed campaign in July 2015.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Tillerson makes unannounced visit to Afghanistan
- 22.10.2017Super Typhoon Lan to make direct hit on Tokyo
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city