3 Pakistani troops killed in cross-border firing
At least three Pakistani soldiers were killed and another injured in an alleged attack by Indian forces across the disputed Kashmir border, the Pakistan army said on Monday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agencu.
Indian troops initiated "unprovoked" firing at the Rawalkot sector of the Line of Control -- a de facto border which divides the Himalayan valley between the two neighbors, said the Inter-Service Public Relations (ISPR), the Pakistan army's media wing, in a statement.
The border clash -- the latest in a series of skirmishes in recent months -- followed a meeting between alleged Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav and his family in the capital Islamabad earlier on Monday.
Jadhav was sentenced to death by a military court in Pakistan eight months ago over espionage charges. Islamabad says he is a serving Indian naval officer, while New Delhi insists he had retired.
The two nuclear-powers are going through a rough patch in their relations after 19 Indian soldiers were killed in Indian-held Kashmir last September by militants India claims had links to Pakistan, a charge Islamabad denies.
Kashmir, a Muslim-majority Himalayan region, is held by India and Pakistan in parts and claimed by both in full. A small sliver of Kashmir is also held by China.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 26.12.2017Three Pakistani soldiers killed by Indian fire in Kashmir: Pakistani army
- 26.12.2017Myanmar says it will drop charges against journalists
- 26.12.2017Turkish jets hit PKK terrorist hideouts in northern Iraq
- 23.12.2017Indian army major, 3 troops killed in cross-border fire
- 23.12.2017At least 200 killed as severe tropical storm in Philippines - UPDATED
- 23.12.201732 killed as bus falls into river in western India