5 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
Five suspected suicide bombers were killed when they allegedly tried to bomb a security installation in southwestern Quetta city on Thursday evening, according to the army, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
The military’s media wing -- the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) -- said in a statement the suspected attackers were killed in an alleged exchange of fire when an explosives-laden vehicle tried to enter a security center in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province.
The alleged attackers “apparently” looked Afghan nationals, the statement added.
The foiled attack came following the killing of a key leader of a hardline militant group, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ), during an operation in Quetta on Wednesday night.
Balochistan province has been beset by violence for over six decades, with Baloch separatists claiming it was forcibly incorporated into Pakistan upon the end of the British rule in 1947.
The mineral-rich province, especially its capital Quetta, has also been reeling from sectarian violence for last two decades, which has claimed over 2000 lives, mostly Shia minority.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018North Korea's nuclear production capability still intact - US Commander
- 22.07.2018Coalition planes conduct air strike on civilians in eastern Syria - SANA
- 21.07.2018Hmeymim air defenses shot down militant UAV in Syria - Russian MoD
- 21.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 8 terrorists
- 21.07.201811 killed, 8 injured in clash with terrorists in western Iran
- 21.07.2018One Iraqi protester killed in protest at Badr militia branch
- 21.07.2018Israeli fire kills four Palestinians as troops shot at on Gaza border
- 21.07.2018Israeli soldier killed by Gaza militants along Gaza border
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue