500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
A total of 500 Turkish soldiers were hospitalized late Saturday in western Manisa following complaints of nausea and vomiting, that province’s governor said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"After the dinner meal, 300 Turkish soldiers were brought to hospitals and 200 soldiers were placed under observation at sickroom inside of the commandship," Mustafa Hakan Guvencer said.
Guvencer said it is too early to talk about poisoning.
"We cannot make an official statement now about the reason of the disease and diagnosis, we are waiting for laboratory results," Guvencer added.
He said Defense Minister Fikri Isik and Commander of Turkish Land Forces Gen. Zeki Colak would go to Manisa.
The governor’s office later issued a written statement that said the soldiers are not in life-threatening conditions and some had been already discharged from hospitals.
Police early Sunday arrested 19 employees, including executives, of the catering company that provides food to the military at the post where the incident occurred, police source told Anadolu Agency.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2017Arab nations demand Qatar close Al-Jazeera, cut diplomatic ties to Iran, shutter Turkish base
- 23.06.2017North Korea Conducts Rocket Engine Test
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists surrender in SE Turkey
- 22.06.2017Dozens killed in Afghanistan as car bomb hits bank branch
- 22.06.2017Iran's Khamenei ordered missile strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria: Guards
- 22.06.2017Cuban FM: Trump's statements on Cuba do not conflict earlier agreements
- 22.06.2017China to launch four important satellites by 2020
- 22.06.2017First aid ship from Turkey setting sail for Qatar
- 21.06.2017Saudi king deposes crown prince, names son as successor
- 21.06.2017Air strikes pound southwest Syrian city of Deraa
- 20.06.201726 injured in Chinese plane crash
- 20.06.20173 Iran Revolutionary Guards detained in Saudi Arabia
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
- 17.06.2017Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
- 17.06.2017Three Palestinians shot dead after killing Israeli officer
- 16.06.2017Mattis Made no decisions on troop levels for Afghanistan - Pentagon
- 15.06.2017Iranian Laser targets US forces in Strait of Hormuz
- 15.06.2017Bomb blast near Kabul mosque kills 6, injures 10
- 15.06.2017Deadly explosion rocks Chinese kindergarten and kills at least 7
- 15.06.2017Two pilots of missing Malaysian military aircraft found dead
- 15.06.2017One wounded in missile attack on UAE ship off Yemen coast
- 14.06.2017100,000 evacuated as typhoon merbok hits South China
- 14.06.2017Saudi soldier killed in landmine blast
- 14.06.2017Turkish court remands 34 FETO suspects in custody
- 13.06.2017Oil prices edge up as Saudis limit exports to Asia, U.S.
- 13.06.2017Turkish military team in Qatar for troop deployment
- 13.06.2017U.S.-backed Syrian fighters reach old city walls in Islamic State-held Raqqa
- 13.06.2017Qatar 'extremely comfortable' despite sanctions, markets stabilize
- 13.06.2017Islamic State calls for attacks in West, Russia, Middle East, Asia during Ramadan
- 13.06.2017Iran's Khamenei blames U.S. for regional instability, creation of Islamic State
- 13.06.2017Over 900 Yemenis die of cholera outbreak since late April
- 12.06.2017Bahram Ghasemi: We advise US gov’t not to go the wrong way
- 11.06.2017Qatar says no expulsions of nationals from countries that cut ties
- 10.06.2017Turkey's FM: Qatar row should be solved peacefully
- 10.06.2017Two U.S. soldiers killed, two wounded by Afghan commando
- 10.06.2017Iran signs final deal for 30 Boeing 737s
- 09.06.2017Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE and Bahrain blacklist entities associated with Qatar
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 20.06.2017Militant leader reportedly killed on Iran-Pakistan border
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry