500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
A total of 500 Turkish soldiers were hospitalized late Saturday in western Manisa following complaints of nausea and vomiting, that province’s governor said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"After the dinner meal, 300 Turkish soldiers were brought to hospitals and 200 soldiers were placed under observation at sickroom inside of the commandship," Mustafa Hakan Guvencer said.
Guvencer said it is too early to talk about poisoning.
"We cannot make an official statement now about the reason of the disease and diagnosis, we are waiting for laboratory results," Guvencer added.
He said Defense Minister Fikri Isik and Commander of Turkish Land Forces Gen. Zeki Colak would go to Manisa.
The governor’s office later issued a written statement that said the soldiers are not in life-threatening conditions and some had been already discharged from hospitals.
Police early Sunday arrested 19 employees, including executives, of the catering company that provides food to the military at the post where the incident occurred, police source told Anadolu Agency.
Related news releases
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 06.04.2011Turkey refuses interference in Bahrain’s affairs
- 06.04.2011First ban on all Japanese food over nuclear crisis
- 06.04.201113 Gazans freed from Egypt arrive home
- 05.04.2011Yemen’s Saleh urges opposition talks amid new clashes
- 05.04.2011Syrian president meets Kurdish leaders
- 05.04.2011Vietnamese dissident lawyer gets 7 years in prison