500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
A total of 500 Turkish soldiers were hospitalized late Saturday in western Manisa following complaints of nausea and vomiting, that province’s governor said, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"After the dinner meal, 300 Turkish soldiers were brought to hospitals and 200 soldiers were placed under observation at sickroom inside of the commandship," Mustafa Hakan Guvencer said.
Guvencer said it is too early to talk about poisoning.
"We cannot make an official statement now about the reason of the disease and diagnosis, we are waiting for laboratory results," Guvencer added.
He said Defense Minister Fikri Isik and Commander of Turkish Land Forces Gen. Zeki Colak would go to Manisa.
The governor’s office later issued a written statement that said the soldiers are not in life-threatening conditions and some had been already discharged from hospitals.
Police early Sunday arrested 19 employees, including executives, of the catering company that provides food to the military at the post where the incident occurred, police source told Anadolu Agency.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 11.10.2017UN gearing up for heavy influx of Rohingya Muslim refugees
- 11.10.2017Pyongyang: CIA tried to assassinate Kim Jong-un with biochemical weapon
- 10.10.2017Bangladesh: Top Jamaat-e-Islami leaders arrested
- 08.10.20172 Turkish guards martyred by PKK in Turkey's Diyarbakir
- 08.10.2017Turkey aims to prevent conflict in Syria's Idlib: FM
- 08.10.2017Gunman attacks Saudi security forces at gate of Jeddah royal palace
- 08.10.2017Erbil, Baghdad agree on dialogue, lifting sanctions
- 07.10.2017US addicted to imposing sanctions but Iran is immunized: Zarif
- 07.10.2017Security forces capture 2 PKK terrorists in SE Turkey
- 07.10.2017Deputy PM of Kyrgyzstan dies in car crash
- 06.10.2017Iran open to talks over its ballistic missile program
- 06.10.2017Earthquake with magnitude 6 strikes Iwaki, Japan
- 05.10.2017Erdogan: "Turkey to close borders with Iraqi Kurdistan soon"
- 05.10.2017Iraq Turkmen leader calls for ‘federal model’ in Kirkuk
- 04.10.2017UN asked to help resolve Kashmir dispute
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 20.06.2017Militant leader reportedly killed on Iran-Pakistan border
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry