Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Chinese President Xi Jinping hailed a “fresh start” to the relationship between the countries after a meeting in Vietnam that saw them agree to work more closely on North Korea, APA reports citing Reuters.
The leaders met on the sidelines of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in the Vietnamese resort city of Danang.
“At the end of the meeting, President Xi said this is a meeting that marks a fresh start of relations between Japan and China. I totally feel the same way,” Abe told reporters.
Abe said he has proposed to visit China at an appropriate time, which would then be followed by a Xi visit to Japan.
At the meeting, the two countries agreed to deepen their cooperation on North Korea and to hold a trilateral summit with South Korea at the earliest possible date.
“With the North Korea situation at an important phase, the role China ought to play is very big,” Abe said.
China and Japan have also agreed to accelerate talks for an early implementation of a communication mechanism between their military forces, Abe said. He also proposed that Japan and China cooperate in doing business in third countries.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018North Korea's nuclear production capability still intact - US Commander
- 22.07.2018Coalition planes conduct air strike on civilians in eastern Syria - SANA
- 21.07.2018Hmeymim air defenses shot down militant UAV in Syria - Russian MoD
- 21.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 8 terrorists
- 21.07.201811 killed, 8 injured in clash with terrorists in western Iran
- 21.07.2018One Iraqi protester killed in protest at Badr militia branch
- 21.07.2018Israeli fire kills four Palestinians as troops shot at on Gaza border
- 21.07.2018Israeli soldier killed by Gaza militants along Gaza border
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump