Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
Afghan security forces have eliminated up to 700 militants affiliated with Daesh in the past three months in the eastern Nangarhar province alone, a top military official said on Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Visiting the troops on the frontline in the Chaparhar district close to strategic Tora Bora, Gen. Mohammad Zaman, commander of the Afghan National Army’s 201st Silab Corps, said that around 700 militants of the terror group were killed in the past three months alone during ongoing Hamza operations.
Brushing aside the militants’ claims of capturing Tora Bora, he called it “psychological warfare” meant to keep security personnel away.
Following reports that pro-Daesh militants are advancing towards the strategically important Tora Bora Mountains close to the border with Pakistan, Afghan forces have launched intense ground and air offensives to deny them access to the complex network of caves and tunnels in these mountains, which have been home to the anti-Soviet Mujahedeen as well as Osama bin Ladin, the slain al-Qaeda leader.
Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Dawlat Waziri told Anadolu Agency that government forces are in full control of the situation, and the militants would never be able to capture the mountain. Hundreds of families have fled the area due to renewed clashes.
In April the U.S. Forces - Afghanistan (USFA) dropped the so-called Mother of All Bombs (MOAB) on Daesh hideouts in the neighboring Achin district of Nangarhar province. Officially known as a GBU-43B, or massive ordnance air blast weapon, the MOAB unleashed 11 tons of explosives.
Up to 90 militants were reported dead and a complex of caves and tunnels were destroyed in this attack.
Earlier this week, the Wolesi Jirga (lower house) of parliament urged the Kabul government to take immediate steps to deny the militants access to Tora Bora, otherwise it would become all but impossible to target them if they managed to establish bases in these complex caves and tunnels.
Zaman once again said that the group is receiving an uninterrupted supply of militants across the border from Pakistan, a claim Islamabad has time and again rejected.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 17.06.2017Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
- 17.06.2017Three Palestinians shot dead after killing Israeli officer
- 16.06.2017Mattis Made no decisions on troop levels for Afghanistan - Pentagon