Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
Iraqi forces Monday recaptured six villages in the western Anbar province from the Daesh terrorist organization, while five Daesh elements were killed in another two air strikes in northern Iraq’s Diyala province.
“The Iraqi army managed to liberate six villages west of the city of Rawa, 230 kilometers [143 miles] northwest of Ramadi, the capital of Anbar [province],” Army Col. Waleed al-Dulaimi told Anadolu Agency.
According to al-Dulaimi, Daesh elements fled from the villages towards the desert northwest of the city of Rawa, adding that army units had reached the outskirts of the city in preparation for recapturing it from Daesh.
The operation is part of a wide-ranging military campaign by the Iraqi government starting on Oct. 26 meant to retake the districts of Rawa and Al-Qaim on the Syrian border, reportedly Daesh’s last strongholds.
In related news, at least five Daesh elements were killed by two Iraqi military air strikes in northern Iraq’s Diyala province, Police Capt. Habib al-Shammari told Anadolu Agency Monday.
An Iraqi army aircraft bombed a Daesh vehicle carrying three terrorists in an area in Diyala, he said.
Another vehicle carrying two terrorists was targeted by another air strike in the Hawi al-Azim area, in northern Diyala, he added, saying that the two strikes killed all the Daesh militants inside the vehicles.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017Palestinian factions agree to hold general elections by end-2018
- 22.11.2017Iran’s General Soleimani: Over 6,000 deceived young members of Daesh carry out suicide attacks
- 22.11.2017Khamenei: Fall of Daesh was also a blow to U.S.
- 22.11.2017Medicine and bread prices go up in Iran
- 22.11.2017Lebanon PM Saad Hariri 'suspends' resignation
- 22.11.2017North Korea punishes top military leaders
- 22.11.2017Russian president, Israeli prime minister discuss Mideast settlement in Syrian context
- 22.11.2017Journalist shot dead at point blank range by police in northeast India
- 21.11.2017Army chiefs discuss de-escalation zones in Syria
- 21.11.2017Iranian president declares end to ISIS
- 21.11.2017Pakistani forces rescue 18 hostages near Iran’s border
- 21.11.2017At least three dead, 20 feared trapped after plant in India collapses
- 21.11.2017Suspected cholera cases in Yemen hit 940,000: WHO
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province