Australia to end air strikes against IS in Iraq
Australia is ending its involvement in air strikes on Islamic State (IS) in Iraq, the country's military said on Friday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Australian Defense Minister Marise Payne said the Royal Australian Air Force's (RAAF) F/A-18F Super Hornets would return to Australia after an "arduous and brutal" campaign against the terrorist group.
The announcement came after Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in December declared victory over the IS.
Payne said Australia's Operation Okra has made a significant contribution in the fight against IS.
"Given the success that has been achieved on the battlefield by the Iraqi security forces, Australia's contribution is now at a transition point," she told reporters on Friday.
"After more than three years of air operations, the number of coalition air strike commissions has steadily dropped since the last major population center was captured in October.
"Following discussions with Iraq and members of the international coalition, the Australian government has determined we will bring home our six Super Hornet strike aircraft from the Middle East."
More than 800 Australian military personnel were involved in Operation Okra, mostly in Iraq.
"We are there at the invitation of the government of Iraq," Payne said.
"There's no doubt that our operations have made a difference to the ability of the Iraqi security forces' campaign to defeat Daesh (IS) and to ensure that the extremists of this organization are prevented from spreading their toxic ideology further across the globe."
Military operations in the region will now shift focus to holding territory that has been retaken from IS with Australian surveillance aircraft and 380 Australian military personnel continuing to provide support to that end.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 02.07.2018Thai rescue teams find 13 missing in cave alive
- 02.07.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in SE Turkey
- 01.07.2018Three settlements in Syria’s southwest de-escalation zone join ceasefire
- 01.07.2018Explosive device detonates near school in Syrian city of Al Hasakah
- 30.06.2018Iran still awaits for EU proposals on preserving nuclear deal - Tehran
- 22.12.2017Israeli woman, 42, gives birth to her 20th child
- 22.12.2017Iran detains 230 boys and girls for drinking, dancing
- 23.12.2017Two trains collide in Austria, several injured
- 22.12.2017Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
- 22.12.2017Details of S-400 missile system deal with Saudi Arabia to be agreed by year-end — official
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran