Australia to end air strikes against IS in Iraq
Australia is ending its involvement in air strikes on Islamic State (IS) in Iraq, the country's military said on Friday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Australian Defense Minister Marise Payne said the Royal Australian Air Force's (RAAF) F/A-18F Super Hornets would return to Australia after an "arduous and brutal" campaign against the terrorist group.
The announcement came after Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in December declared victory over the IS.
Payne said Australia's Operation Okra has made a significant contribution in the fight against IS.
"Given the success that has been achieved on the battlefield by the Iraqi security forces, Australia's contribution is now at a transition point," she told reporters on Friday.
"After more than three years of air operations, the number of coalition air strike commissions has steadily dropped since the last major population center was captured in October.
"Following discussions with Iraq and members of the international coalition, the Australian government has determined we will bring home our six Super Hornet strike aircraft from the Middle East."
More than 800 Australian military personnel were involved in Operation Okra, mostly in Iraq.
"We are there at the invitation of the government of Iraq," Payne said.
"There's no doubt that our operations have made a difference to the ability of the Iraqi security forces' campaign to defeat Daesh (IS) and to ensure that the extremists of this organization are prevented from spreading their toxic ideology further across the globe."
Military operations in the region will now shift focus to holding territory that has been retaken from IS with Australian surveillance aircraft and 380 Australian military personnel continuing to provide support to that end.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018Leaders of two Koreas meet at historic summit
- 27.04.2018Kim Jong-un departs from Pyongyang to attend inter-Korean summit - agency
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 22.12.2017Israeli woman, 42, gives birth to her 20th child
- 22.12.2017Iran detains 230 boys and girls for drinking, dancing
- 23.12.2017Two trains collide in Austria, several injured
- 22.12.2017Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
- 22.12.2017Details of S-400 missile system deal with Saudi Arabia to be agreed by year-end — official
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran