Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
At least seven people, including five police officers, have been killed and nearly two dozen others wounded in a bomb blast that struck a police vehicle in southwestern Pakistan, APA reports quoting Press TV.
The terrorist attack was carried out in the vicinity of a high security area in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, on Tuesday evening.
Senior police officer Abdul Razzaq Cheema said a bomber was believed to have walked up to the truck and blown himself up.
Hospital sources said two civilians were also among the dead.
No group or individual has claimed responsibility for the attack, which came days after two bombers stormed a packed Christian church in Quetta, killing nine people and wounding over 50. The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group claimed the church assault.
Quetta has seen several bombings and shooting attacks in recent years.
Balochistan has long been plagued by an insurgency by nationalist and separatist groups who seek to secure bigger shares in regional resources. The resulted chaos, coupled by lack of security, has made room for the activities of criminal gangs, human smugglers and terror outfits linked to the Taliban and al-Qaeda militant groups.
In a separate development, Balochistan's chief minister resigned amid opposition efforts to remove him through a vote of no confidence. Nawab Sanaullah Zehri, a member of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), quit shortly before a provincial assembly session in which lawmakers were expected to table a motion to demand a vote to oust him.
"I can confirm CM Baluchistan tendered resignation following the spirit of democratic principles," Jan Achakzai, Zehri's spokesman, said in a message posted on Twitter.
Achakza said Zehri had vowed to fight political opponents to the end but resigned to "bring an end to instability" in the province.
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off