Casualties feared as TV station in Afghan capital comes under attack
A private television station in the Afghan capital came under attack on Tuesday by a number of gunmen who broke into the building after an explosion, officials said, APA reported citing Reuters.
A tweet from the station’s Twitter account said staffers reported several casualties inside the building and staff members reached by telephone said between two and five people appeared to have been killed.
Kabul police spokesman Basir Mujahid said casualties were feared but he said the number was still unclear.
He said the attack began with an explosion at the gate of the station followed by gunmen who stormed in. One of the attackers was killed immediately but others fought off security forces with hand grenades.
As the attack unfolded, Shamshad TV, a Pashto language broadcaster, stopped normal programing, transmitting only a still image.
There was no immediate indication of the identity of the attackers but Taliban insurgents issued an immediate denial that they were involved.
The attack is the latest in a series of assaults on Afghan journalists and media workers. Last year seven members of Afghanistan’s largest private television station, Tolo, were killed by a Taliban suicide bomber.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018North Korea's nuclear production capability still intact - US Commander
- 22.07.2018Coalition planes conduct air strike on civilians in eastern Syria - SANA
- 21.07.2018Hmeymim air defenses shot down militant UAV in Syria - Russian MoD
- 21.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 8 terrorists
- 21.07.201811 killed, 8 injured in clash with terrorists in western Iran
- 21.07.2018One Iraqi protester killed in protest at Badr militia branch
- 21.07.2018Israeli fire kills four Palestinians as troops shot at on Gaza border
- 21.07.2018Israeli soldier killed by Gaza militants along Gaza border
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.11.2017Three killed, 13 civilians injured in attacks near Syria's Damascus
- 07.11.2017South Korean investors show extraordinary interest in Russian projects — minister
- 08.11.2017More than 125 migrants held in western Turkey
- 07.11.2017Philippines: Nine more militants killed in Marawi
- 07.11.2017Saudi-led forces close air, sea and land access to Yemen
- 07.11.2017North Korea threatens ‘merciless retaliation’ to Trump’s remarks’