Casualties feared as TV station in Afghan capital comes under attack
A private television station in the Afghan capital came under attack on Tuesday by a number of gunmen who broke into the building after an explosion, officials said, APA reported citing Reuters.
A tweet from the station’s Twitter account said staffers reported several casualties inside the building and staff members reached by telephone said between two and five people appeared to have been killed.
Kabul police spokesman Basir Mujahid said casualties were feared but he said the number was still unclear.
He said the attack began with an explosion at the gate of the station followed by gunmen who stormed in. One of the attackers was killed immediately but others fought off security forces with hand grenades.
As the attack unfolded, Shamshad TV, a Pashto language broadcaster, stopped normal programing, transmitting only a still image.
There was no immediate indication of the identity of the attackers but Taliban insurgents issued an immediate denial that they were involved.
The attack is the latest in a series of assaults on Afghan journalists and media workers. Last year seven members of Afghanistan’s largest private television station, Tolo, were killed by a Taliban suicide bomber.
Related news releases
- 18.03.2018Iran security service arrest close ally of ex-president Ahmadinejad
- 17.03.2018Turkish troops reunite in Afrin's north
- 17.03.2018China's parliament re-elects Xi Jinping as president
- 16.03.2018Iran won’t renegotiate 2015 nuke deal: Deputy FM
- 16.03.2018U.S. military helicopter crashes in Iraq with seven aboard
- 14.03.2018Explosion kills 9 in northeast Pakistan
- 14.03.2018Deputy of ex-Iranian president remanded in custody
- 14.03.2018Two civilians killed in Damascus in shelling by militants
- 13.03.2018Iranian official blames UK for London embassy incident
- 13.03.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu urges feuding coalition to remain intact
- 12.03.2018At least 50 dead as Bangladeshi passenger plane crashes at Kathmandu airport - UPDATED-2
- 11.03.2018Military vehicle crash in Turkey martyrs one soldier
- 11.03.2018So-called leaders of YPG/PKK 'fleeing' Afrin
- 10.03.2018Iran expresses protest to UK over incident with embassy in London – FM
- 10.03.20188 terrorists 'neutralized' this week in Turkey, N Iraq
- 10.03.2018North Korean state media quiet on Kim Jong Un's overtures to Trump
- 09.03.2018Iranian farmers stage protest in drought-hit Isfahan
- 08.03.2018Israel will always control Jordan Valley: Netanyahu
- 08.03.2018Military storage unit in Iran explodes
- 08.03.2018Israel's El Al seeks U.N. help in bid to fly through Saudi airspace
- 07.03.2018Suicide bomber kills Muslim official in Afghan city
- 07.03.2018Ex-Iran leader warns of mounting public 'disaffection'
- 07.03.2018Terrorists force Afrin residents to dig ditches
- 07.03.20181 killed in car bomb blast in Syria's Al-Bab
- 06.03.2018Russian transport plane crashes in Syria
- 06.03.2018Wedding party truck plunges off a bridge in India, killing 25
- 06.03.2018Koreas reach 'satisfactory' agreement
- 06.03.2018Iran: We can resume enriching weapons-grade uranium in 'less than 48 hours'
- 05.03.2018'More than 40 militants' killed in Afghanistan
- 05.03.2018Papua New Guinea quake kills 80 people
- 04.03.2018N. Korea warns U.S. not to misjudge intention for talks
- 03.03.2018Saudi Arabia holds first-ever marathon for women
- 03.03.2018Turkish female troops provide backup in Afrin operation
- 03.03.2018North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills
- 03.03.2018Three Australians die, more sick in listeria outbreak tied to melons
- 02.03.2018Saudi Arabia lifts 35-year-long ban on cinemas
- 02.03.2018South Korea plans to send envoy to North Korea soon
- 02.03.20188 Turkish soldiers martyred, 13 wounded in Afrin
- 02.03.2018Iran detains 35 women for going to football match
- 02.03.2018IED blast kills 2 in Afghanistan
- 07.11.2017Three killed, 13 civilians injured in attacks near Syria's Damascus
- 07.11.2017South Korean investors show extraordinary interest in Russian projects — minister
- 08.11.2017More than 125 migrants held in western Turkey
- 07.11.2017Philippines: Nine more militants killed in Marawi
- 07.11.2017Saudi-led forces close air, sea and land access to Yemen
- 07.11.2017North Korea threatens ‘merciless retaliation’ to Trump’s remarks’