Daesh car-bomb attack kills 16 in W. Mosul: Iraqi army
At least 16 people were killed in a Tuesday car-bomb attack carried out by the Daesh terrorist group in western Mosul, according to an Iraqi military source, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Army Captain Khader al-Asadi told Anadolu Agency that a Daesh suicide bomber had attacked anti-terrorism units stationed in western Mosul’s Al-Thawra district.
After the attacker failed to reach his intended target, he detonated his car-bomb in a residential area, the officer said.
According to al-Asadi, the attack left 16 people dead -- including women and children -- and caused significant material damage in the area.
The officer went on to stress that Iraqi forces remain in firm control of the district, where they are now carrying out mopping-up operations.
Ethnically diverse Mosul, which Daesh overran in mid-2014, was once considered Iraq’s second largest city in terms of population.
In February, Iraqi ground forces -- backed by a U.S.-led air coalition -- began fresh operations aimed at driving Daesh militants from western Mosul, the terrorist group’s last stronghold in northern Iraq.
The offensive is part of a wider campaign launched last October aimed at retaking the entire city.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 13.05.2018Serial explosions occur in Indonesia, at least two killed, over a dozen injured
- 12.05.2018North Korea details plans to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018North Korea announces nuclear test site dismantling ceremony for May
- 12.05.2018Explosion damages vessel carrying wheat to Yemen
- 12.05.2018Israel to Assad: Get rid of your Iranian allies, they will harm you
- 12.05.2018Israeli gunfire kills Palestinian as border protest builds to climax
- 11.05.2018Israeli soldier wounded in car-ramming attack in West Bank
- 11.05.2018Iranians hold nationwide rallies to condemn US breach of contract
- 11.05.20187 people, including 4 children, found dead at home in southwestern Australia
- 11.05.2018Russia, Iran vow to adhere to nuclear deal
- 11.05.2018Iran does not want new tensions in the region — president
- 19.04.2017Pentagon might try to shoot down Pyongyang’s next missile test
- 19.04.2017Australian advisers caught in Mosul chemical attack
- 19.04.2017Iraqi army says third of old western Mosul retaken
- 18.04.2017Iranian president criticizes IRGC for interfering country’s economic affairs
- 18.04.2017285 killed during Myanmar’s water festival
- 18.04.2017Japan may consider deploying troops in case of DPRK missile fall in its waters