Details of S-400 missile system deal with Saudi Arabia to be agreed by year-end — official
Moscow and Riyadh are expected to agree on all details of the deal to deliver advanced S-400 antiaircraft missile systems to Saudi Arabia by the end of the year, the Russian presidential aide for defense cooperation, Vladimir Kozhin, said on Thursday, APA reports quoting TASS.
Speaking at the Golden Idea award ceremony to mark achievements in the defense sector, Kozhin said Russia and Saudi Arabia had signed "a package of agreements," including on the delivery of S-400 and on launching the production of Kalashnikov assault rifles in the Kingdom.
"As far as more complicated systems are concerned, negotiations still continue," he said. "Both technical issues and financial aspects are being discussed. I hope that we will get answers to all remaining questions by the end of the year."
The official added that "those negotiations are literally under way at the moment."
A contract for the delivery of Russian-made S-400 (NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler) air defense missile systems to Saudi Arabia was signed in May 2017.
S-400 Triumf is the latest long-range antiaircraft missile system that went into service in 2007. It is designed to destroy aircraft, cruise and ballistic missiles, including medium-range missiles, and can also be used against ground targets. The S-400 can engage targets at a distance of 400 km and at an altitude of up to 30 km.
Russian Aerospace Force Deputy Commander-in-Chief Viktor Gumyonny said in April that missiles capable of destroying targets in outer space had started arriving for the S-400 systems.
Related news releases
- 23.01.201856 peacekeepers killed in 2017, UN says
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 22.12.2017Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
- 22.12.2017Australia to end air strikes against IS in Iraq
- 22.12.2017Israeli woman, 42, gives birth to her 20th child
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran
- 21.12.2017Myanmar general hit by US sanctions
- 21.12.2017Israel's Netanyahu calls U.N. 'house of lies' before Jerusalem vote