Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
A former police chief in the southern province of Helmand was jailed for three years on Saturday for corruption, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Abdul Rahman Sarjang, who was appointed by President Ashraf Ghani, was convicted on charges of misusing his authority, according to a court statement.
Helmand is a vital province in the fight against the Taliban, who control large swathes of land, and is a center for opium production, which provides the militant group with much of its funding.
Among Sarjang’s crimes were the sale of police district chief posts in the province as well as the appointment of “ghost” officers who existed only on paper so he could collect their pay.
He was tried by a court of the recently established Justice and Judicial Center for Anti-Corruption.
Sarjang rejected the charges, claiming they were part of a political conspiracy against him.
Two months ago, senior military officers were jailed by a military court over their failure in preventing a militant attack on an Afghan National Army base in April.
Ghani has declared the Ministry of Interior to be the “heart of corruption” in Afghanistan and now personally supervises large procurement deals and the appointment of senior officers.
Related news releases
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 10.08.2017Counterterror operations kill 6 PKK terrorists
- 10.08.2017Bomb attack kills politician in Yemen
- 10.08.2017EU broadens sanction list agaisnt DPRK amid U.S.-DPRK war of words
- 10.08.2017South Korea threatens to retaliate against North’s provocations
- 10.08.2017North Korea Calls Trump Impossible to Communicate With
- 10.08.2017Up to 50 teen migrants 'deliberately drowned' off Yemen
- 10.08.2017Islamic State threatens new attacks in Iran
- 10.08.2017Poll to achieve ‘separation from Iraq’: Kurdish leader
- 09.08.2017UN envoy holds talks with Yemeni president in Riyadh
- 09.08.2017Death toll in southwest China earthquake rises to nine, 135 injured - UPDATED
- 09.08.2017U.S.-led coalition strikes kill 29 civilians in Syria
- 08.08.2017Number of powerful China quake victims rises to 88
- 08.08.20175 killed as 7.0-magnitude quake hits SW China
- 08.08.2017Turkey begins building border wall with Iran
- 08.08.2017Iranian drone approaches US jet in Persian Gulf, makes it take evasive action
- 26.03.2016Air ambulance helicopter crashes in Iran, killing 7
- 26.03.2016Iran leading advocate of int’l anti-cyber terrorism combat – Foreign Ministry
- 26.03.2016Hamas, Fatah delegations to meet in Qatar
- 25.03.2016Syria army retakes Palmyra citadel, IS number two 'dead'
- 25.03.2016Casualties feared in blast in Afghan capital
- 25.03.2016Iran's Rouhani making first visit to Pakistan as president