Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
The number of Palestinians killed in the latest clashes with the Israeli forces in Gaza has increased to 59, including an 8-month-old child, the Palestinian Health Ministry said, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Mass protests erupted in Gaza in light of the 70th anniversary of the establishment of Israel and the opening of the Israeli embassy in Jerusalem on Monday.
"An 8-month-old girl… died after breathing a gas in Gaza's east," the ministry said.
Earlier, Gaza Healthcare Ministry spokesman Ashraf Qidra told Sputnik that the Palestinian death toll from Israeli forces' gunfire during Monday's protests in the Gaza Strip had risen to 55 people.
"The final death toll from the Israeli aggression today is 55 people including seven underage children, and one woman," Qidra said, adding that 2,771 Palestinians were injured.
In total, 104 Palestinians were killed and over 12,000 others were wounded by the Israeli forces since March 30, when the wave of anti-Israeli protests began along the Gaza border, Qidra added.
The clashes between the Palestinian rioters and the Israeli forces in Gaza intensified on Monday amid the opening ceremony of the US embassy in Jerusalem, which was held earlier in the day.
Some 55 were killed and 2,700 wounded by Israeli troops, Palestinian officials said, on the deadliest day of violence since the 2014 Gaza war, APA reports quoting BBC.
The Palestinian Authority's leader condemned a "massacre". The UN spoke of "outrageous human rights violations".
The violence came as the US opened a controversial embassy in Jerusalem.
The move of the US embassy from Tel Aviv has incensed Palestinians, who claim eastern Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state.
They see the US move as backing Israeli control over the whole of the city, which Israel regards as its indivisible capital.
Palestinians were demonstrating on Monday as they have been for six weeks as part of a protest, orchestrated by Gaza's Islamist rulers Hamas, called the "Great March of Return".
However, Monday's protests - and more planned for Tuesday - are the culmination, as they mark the anniversary of Israel's creation in 1948 and what Palestinian's term the Nakba or Catastrophe, referring to the hundreds of thousands of their people who subsequently fled their homes or were displaced in the war that followed.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 13.05.2018Serial explosions occur in Indonesia, at least two killed, over a dozen injured
- 12.05.2018North Korea details plans to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018North Korea announces nuclear test site dismantling ceremony for May
- 12.05.2018Explosion damages vessel carrying wheat to Yemen
- 12.05.2018Israel to Assad: Get rid of your Iranian allies, they will harm you
- 12.05.2018Israeli gunfire kills Palestinian as border protest builds to climax
- 11.05.2018Israeli soldier wounded in car-ramming attack in West Bank
- 11.05.2018Iranians hold nationwide rallies to condemn US breach of contract
- 11.05.20187 people, including 4 children, found dead at home in southwestern Australia
- 11.05.2018Russia, Iran vow to adhere to nuclear deal
- 11.05.2018Iran does not want new tensions in the region — president
- 10.05.2018Iran won't discuss any provision of current nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 10.05.2018Assad: Russia will not allow third world war in Syria
- 10.05.2018Terrorist inmates at Indonesian prison free officer
- 10.05.2018Israel says hit dozens of Iranian targets in Syria
- 10.05.2018Singapore likely summit venue after North Korea releases prisoners: U.S. official
- 10.05.2018China's won't change stance on trade talks with U.S.: China commerce ministry
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas