Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps: Riot of year failed
Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari announced on Wednesday that the riot of the year was over without any success for protesters, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"I announce that the riot of 1396 [year according to Iranian calendar] has failed… The number of protesters was small and it did not exceed 15,000 people across Iran," Jafari said as quoted by the IRGC information portal.
Jafari also accused Washington, Tel Aviv and Riyadh of ordering militants of the Daesh terrorist group (outlawed in Russia) to penetrate into Iranian territory "with the aim of subversion."
This position echoes Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's statement made on January 1, in which he stated that the unrest had been provoked by a mix of existing internal problems and foreign influence.
Jafari's statement was made in wake of US President Donald Trump's promise of Washington's support "at the appropriate time" for Iranians protesting against President Hassan Rouhani's government, made earlier in the day.
The anti-government protests, the largest in nearly a decade and praised by some leaders, have been raging in Iran since December 28, as a response to a surge in fuel and food prices, as well as high rates of unemployment, inflation and air pollution. Several major cities in Iran, including Tehran, Mashhad, Isfahan, and Rasht, have been hit with protests.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 04.01.2018Israeli death penalty advocates win preliminary vote in parliament
- 04.01.2018Yemen's Houthis release ex-president Saleh’s spokesman
- 04.01.2018European linked to Iran protests arrested
- 03.01.2018SEPAH: Those creating trouble in Iran to face strict punishment
- 03.01.2018Processions held against riots in different cities of Iran
- 03.01.2018Turkish president stresses on peace, stability in Iran