Kim Jong-un Departs for Singapore Summit
According to the Yonhap News Agency, an Air China airplane was detected departing from the airport in Pyongyang at 08:30 a.m. local time, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Kim Jong-un has boarded a Chinese private Boeing 747 jet commonly used by high-ranking Chinese officials, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing sources.
The popular plane tracking online source Flightradar24, however, reportedly did not specify the destination of the aircraft. The website has also not detected any other flights departing from North Korea. According to Yonhap, many government chartered planes are known to keep their routes secret due to security issues.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump has also departed for Singapore, where he is expected to meet with the North Korean leader on Tuesday, the White House said on Saturday. Trump took off from Canada on Saturday, after participating in the Group of Seven (G7) summit, and is expected to arrive in Singapore on Sunday.
According to Japan’s Kyodo News agency, citing a diplomatic source, the North Korean leader will arrive in Singapore on Sunday.
Earlier, a South Korean Air Force official told the South China Morning Post that Chinese fighter jets would secure Kim's flight route to the historic meeting.
The US-North Korean summit will mark the first-ever meeting of the leaders of the two countries. The highly-anticipated talks were put at risk following Trump's May 24 declaration that he was canceling the meeting with Kim over Pyongyang's hostile rhetoric. Last week, however, Trump reinstated the summit after meeting with Kim's top aide, Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea Vice Chairman Kim Yong Chol, at the White House.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 12.06.2018Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 10.06.2018Terrorist cell smashed in Northwestern Iran
- 10.06.2018Frenchman commits suicide at Mecca - VİDEO
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 10.06.2018Civilians killed in Houthi shelling of Saudi Arabia’s Jaza
- 09.06.201814 PKK terrorists ‘neutralized’ in southeastern Turkey
- 09.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries after PKK clash