More than 125 migrants held in western Turkey
More than 125 undocumented migrants were held during a two-day long operation in western Turkey, according to a Coast Guard Command source Tuesday, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The 129 migrants were trying to cross into Greece illegally from Izmir province.
Coast guards detained 56 Syrians, four Congolese, and two South Africans when a boat was stopped on Monday; 65 Syrians and two Iranians were also held during Tuesday’s operation.
Children and women were among those held.
Two foreign nationals were also rescued when they dived into the sea in an attempt to escape authorities.
In March 2016, Turkey and the EU signed a deal which aimed to discourage irregular migration through the Aegean Sea by taking stricter measures against human traffickers and improving the conditions of some 3 million Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Since then, the number of refugees detained crossing the Aegean Sea between Turkey and Greece has fallen 85 percent, according to the Turkish Coast Guard.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.01.2018North Korea agrees to talks after U.S., South Korea postpone military drills
- 05.01.2018UN experts urge Iran to respect rights of protesters, end internet crackdown
- 05.01.2018North Korea accepts January 9 talks offer from South Korea
- 05.01.2018Storm causes severe power outages in thousands of homes in New Zealand
- 05.01.2018Suicide attack kills 10 in Afghan capital
- 04.01.2018Envoy slams US attempts to intervene in Iran’s domestic affairs
- 04.01.2018Russia says two military personnel killed in Hmeymim airbase shelling on December 31
- 04.01.2018Iran officers killed by 'anti-revolutionaries': Report
- 04.01.2018European linked to Iran protests arrested
- 04.01.2018Yemen's Houthis release ex-president Saleh’s spokesman
- 08.11.2017One dead, another hospitalized after Australian helicopter crash
- 08.11.2017Trump cancels surprise DMZ visit
- 08.11.2017Surveillance cameras installed on Turkish-Armenian border
- 07.11.2017South Korean investors show extraordinary interest in Russian projects — minister
- 07.11.2017Three killed, 13 civilians injured in attacks near Syria's Damascus
- 07.11.2017Casualties feared as TV station in Afghan capital comes under attack