Myanmar general hit by US sanctions
The US has sanctioned a Myanmar general accused of leading an ethnic cleansing campaign against the Rohingya people, APA reports quoting BBC.
Maung Maung Soe is among a host of world figures blacklisted by the US over human rights and corruption allegations.
The crisis in Myanmar has seen more than 650,000 Rohingya flee for neighbouring Bangladesh since August.
Myanmar's military says it is fighting Rohingya militants and denies targeting civilians.
The exodus began earlier this year when Myanmar's army launched a counter-insurgency operation in northern Rakhine state after militants attacked police posts and killed members of the security forces.
Many who reached Bangladesh - some with bullet or other wounds - said Burmese troops backed by local Buddhist mobs had burned their villages and attacked and killed civilians.
The UN has described the military offensive in Rakhine as a "textbook example of ethnic cleansing".
In its statement, the US Treasury said Maung Maung Soe "oversaw the military operation in Burma's Rakhine State responsible for widespread human rights abuse against Rohingya civilians".
Last month he was transferred from his post, but Myanmar's Ministry of Defence gave no reason for the move.
This week, the UN's investigator into human rights in Myanmar was barred from entering the country.
The government said they barred Yanghee Lee because she was "not impartial and objective", but Ms Lee said the decision suggested "something terribly awful" was happening in Rakhine.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 04.07.2018Iraq urges world countries to repatriate Islamic State children
- 04.07.20184.3-magnitude earthquake hits southern Iran
- 02.07.2018Thai rescue teams find 13 missing in cave alive
- 02.07.20184 PKK terrorists neutralized in SE Turkey
- 01.07.2018Three settlements in Syria’s southwest de-escalation zone join ceasefire
- 01.07.2018Explosive device detonates near school in Syrian city of Al Hasakah
- 30.06.2018Iran still awaits for EU proposals on preserving nuclear deal - Tehran
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran
- 22.12.2017Details of S-400 missile system deal with Saudi Arabia to be agreed by year-end — official
- 22.12.2017Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
- 21.12.2017Israel's Netanyahu calls U.N. 'house of lies' before Jerusalem vote
- 21.12.2017Two die in Iran quake panic
- 21.12.2017Several injured when car hits pedestrians in Australia's Melbourne