Netanyahu rejects UN resolution on Jerusalem
Israel has rejected the UN General Assembly resolution on Thursday which criticized the U.S. decision on the status of Jerusalem, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
"Israel completely rejects this preposterous resolution," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in response to the UN vote.
The UN on Thursday overwhelmingly adopted a resolution on Jerusalem calling on the U.S. to withdraw its recognition of the city as Israel's capital.
A total of 128 members voted in favor of the resolution, nine countries voted against and 35 others abstained.
Netanyahu thanked to the U.S. President Donald Trump and the countries that favored the Jerusalem move alongside Israel.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon also condemned the resolution in a statement.
Thursday's voting came after the U.S. vetoed on Monday a UN Security Council resolution that rejected the establishment of diplomatic facilities in the contested city.
Unlike the UN’s 15-member Security Council, the U.S. did not have a veto in the General Assembly.
Related news releases
- 23.01.201856 peacekeepers killed in 2017, UN says
- 21.01.2018Rockets fired from Syria hit Turkish border city Kilis
- 21.01.2018China accuses US of violating maritime border in South China sea incident
- 21.01.2018Turkey informs UK, France, China on Afrin operation
- 20.01.2018Turkish aid body takes measures for civilians in Syria
- 20.01.2018Turkey’s bombers hit 108 targets of 113 designated in Syria’s Afrin - General Staff
- 20.01.2018Russian troops in Syria's Afrin moved to Tel Rifat
- 20.01.2018Hotel in Kabul comes under attack, hostages reportedly taken
- 20.01.2018Operation Olive Branch launched in Syria's Afrin to clear PKK, Daesh, Turkish military says
- 20.01.2018Turkish security forces hit PYD/PKK in Syria's Afrin
- 20.01.2018Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation
- 20.01.2018Iran nuclear deal cannot survive if U.S. pulls out: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.20181,000 PYD/PKK terrorists deployed in Syria's Tal Abyad
- 19.01.2018Hezbollah accuses Israel of Sidon bombing
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 22.12.2017Australia to end air strikes against IS in Iraq
- 22.12.2017Israeli woman, 42, gives birth to her 20th child
- 22.12.2017Iran detains 230 boys and girls for drinking, dancing
- 22.12.2017Details of S-400 missile system deal with Saudi Arabia to be agreed by year-end — official
- 21.12.20175.2-magnitude quake hits Iran
- 21.12.2017Myanmar general hit by US sanctions