One dead, another hospitalized after Australian helicopter crash
One person was dead and another in a critical condition after a helicopter crashed at a Tasmanian airport on Tuesday night, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
Authorities said the helicopter nosedived into the ground at Hobart airport shortly before 5:30 p.m. local time.
The aircraft was owned by local company Rotorlift, which holds a Tasmania Police search and rescue contract.
Tasmania Police's Inspector John Ward said the deceased person was a man in his 40s, but could not say if he was the pilot or passenger.
He said that the cause of the crash was not known and the investigation was ongoing.
"We are still putting the pieces of this puzzle together," Ward told reporters on Tuesday night.
"An eyewitness did say that the helicopter came down really hard, like a nosedive towards the ground."
"It appears to me it's pretty much broken in half, certainly been a write-off. It's come from 200 metres to the ground."
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed that two investigators would fly to Hobart to conduct the investigation.
"The ATSB will release a preliminary investigation report in approximately 30 days. A final report into the accident may take up to 12 months to complete," it said.
Ward said that four eyewitnesses had provided statements to police and Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage from the airport will be reviewed.
All flights departing from Hobart were cancelled pending further notice.
Ward said that the injured man had been in and out of consciousness since being taken to hospital.
"When we manage to speak to him, hopefully in the next 24 to 48 hours we hope to build a picture of what has occurred," he said.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Iran president due in Russia on Wednesday for tripartite talks
- 20.11.2017Third round of Iran-EU talks kicks off in Tehran
- 20.11.2017Iraq top court declares Kurdish referendum ‘unconstitutional’
- 20.11.2017Tuck-minibus collision leaves 17 dead in Pakistan
- 19.11.2017Syrian army clashes with IS in Abu Kamal — SANA
- 19.11.2017Militants shell southeastern outskirts of Damascus — media
- 18.11.2017India's Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017
- 18.11.2017Japanese tug boat crashes into US warship during exercise
- 18.11.20173 PKK terrorists killed in northern Iraq
- 18.11.20176.9 magnitude earthquake hits southern China
- 18.11.2017Japan begins disposal of radioactive waste from Fukushima disaster
- 18.11.2017Hariri to leave Saudi Arabia for France on Friday: MP
- 17.11.2017World's first human head transplant carried out
- 17.11.2017Yemeni governor announces resignation
- 16.11.2017Pakistan's parliament restores finality of prophet law
- 16.11.2017Suicide bomber kills nine near Afghan political meeting
- 16.11.20172,200 cholera deaths recorded in Yemen since April: WHO
- 15.11.201748 terrorists killed, 13 villages taken in Iraq's Anbar
- 15.11.2017Opium production in Afghanistan hits record high: UN
- 15.11.2017East China road accident death toll rises to 18
- 15.11.2017Muslim state’s meddling in Lebanon ‘shameful’: Iran’s Rouhani
- 15.11.2017Indonesian police officer killed in shooting near Freeport mine
- 14.11.2017Syrian National Dialogue Congress to be held in early December
- 14.11.20175 PKK terrorists killed in southeastern Turkey
- 14.11.201722 policemen killed in Taliban group attack in Afghanistan
- 14.11.2017Air strikes kill 29 in market in northern Syria
- 14.11.2017Defecting North Korean soldier shot in back, survives to cross DMZ
- 14.11.2017Saudi Arabia to meet Syrian opposition next week
- 14.11.2017Army retakes 6 villages in western Iraq from Daesh
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 12.11.2017Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin
- 11.11.2017Putin denies claims of Russia’s meddling efforts in US election at talks with Trump
- 11.11.2017Jordan, Russia, US agree on de-escalation zone in Syria
- 11.11.2017Turkish court slaps 10 with jail terms over FETO links
- 11.11.2017IRGC warplane crashes in southern Iran - UPDATED
- 08.11.2017Trump cancels surprise DMZ visit
- 08.11.2017Surveillance cameras installed on Turkish-Armenian border
- 08.11.2017Turkish Council of State dismisses member over FETO
- 08.11.2017More than 125 migrants held in western Turkey
- 07.11.2017South Korean investors show extraordinary interest in Russian projects — minister
- 07.11.2017Three killed, 13 civilians injured in attacks near Syria's Damascus