Russian combat engineers defuse over 400 explosive devices in Deir ez-Zor in 24 hours
The demining operation goes ahead in liberated areas of the Syrian city of Deir ez-Zor, thus creating conditions for the city’s future reconstruction, Chief of the Russian center for reconciliation of warring sides Lt Gen Sergei Kuralenko told a briefing on Saturday, APA reports quoting ITAR-TASS.
"Russian engineers of the International Mine Action Center of the Russian Armed Forces alongside Syrian specialists have searched 21 hectares of southeastern districts of Deir ez-Zor and ten buildings over the past 24 hours. They have tracked and destroyed 405 explosive devices," Kuralenko said.
Joint efforts of the Russian center’s officers and Syrian governmental officials in the past 24 hours have helped 62 civilians to return to their homes from camps for internally displaced persons, 27 people in the Aleppo province, 14 people in the Hama province and 21 in the Homs province.
Preparations for the Syrian National Dialogue Congress are in full swing.
"Fighters of one of the opposition armed units in the Homs de-escalation zone contacted officers of the Russian reconciliation center with a request to assist in attending the Syrian National Dialogue Congress," the Russian general said. "They asked for assistance so that they can leave [the country] to attend the event. The Russian side has begun to negotiate the issue."
The center for reconciliation of warring sides will continue monitoring de-escalation zones. Residents of the populated locality of Ayn Tarma in East Ghouta staged a rally protesting against militants of Faylaq al-Rahman and Jabhat al-Nusra in their area. The protesters demanded that security should be provided for humanitarian organizations, that provocative shelling of government troops should be halted and that Jabhat al-Nusra militants should leave East Ghouta.
To ensure security of civilian population, officers of the Russian reconviction center are holding talks with leaders of the armed opposition operating in East Ghouta, Kuralenko said.
The Russian Defense Ministry declared the establishment of the reconciliation center on February 23, 2016. It is headquartered at the Khmeimim air base, Latakia province. The center was set up in line with agreements reached by Russia and the United States to facilitate the negotiations between the Syrian government and opposition and to organize deliveries of humanitarian aid.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.01.2018North Korea agrees to talks after U.S., South Korea postpone military drills
- 05.01.2018UN experts urge Iran to respect rights of protesters, end internet crackdown
- 05.01.2018North Korea accepts January 9 talks offer from South Korea
- 05.01.2018Storm causes severe power outages in thousands of homes in New Zealand
- 05.01.2018Suicide attack kills 10 in Afghan capital
- 04.01.2018Envoy slams US attempts to intervene in Iran’s domestic affairs
- 04.01.2018Russia says two military personnel killed in Hmeymim airbase shelling on December 31
- 04.01.2018Iran officers killed by 'anti-revolutionaries': Report
- 04.01.2018European linked to Iran protests arrested
- 04.01.2018Yemen's Houthis release ex-president Saleh’s spokesman
- 13.11.201725 militants surrender to Syrian authorities in Aleppo province
- 13.11.2017Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: U.N. watchdog report
- 13.11.2017Strong earthquake hits Iran-Iraq border, kills about 450 - UPDATED-3
- 12.11.2017Abe hails 'fresh start' to Japan-China ties after Xi meeting
- 11.11.2017Bahrain calls oil pipeline fire ‘a terrorist act’
- 11.11.2017North Korea not discussed in detail by Putin, Trump in Vietnam - Kremlin