Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Bahrain affirmed Friday that their recent moves to diplomatically isolate Qatar are within their rights to protect national security, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“Decisions to cut ties with Qatar are a sovereign right of the States concerned and aim to protect their national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism,” said a joint declaration by the UN envoys of Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain.
The statement came in response to remarks Wednesday by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein expressing “alarm” about the human rights impact of cutting off ties.
The three Gulf states said they were ready to work with relevant authorities “to maintain security, to combat terrorism and to safeguard the stability and well-being of the people of the region”.
Separately, at a joint news conference alongside British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said his country was working on a list of complaints against Qatar, according to a Saudi news channel.
On June 5, five Arab countries -- Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain and Yemen -- abruptly cut off diplomatic relations with Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism.
Qatar denied the accusations, calling the moves to diplomatically isolate it "unjustified”.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017U.S. says it appears Syria planning another chemical weapons attack
- 27.06.2017Saudi demands from Qatar 'very provocative': Germany
- 26.06.2017Mosul battle to end in days as troops advance in Old City: Iraqi general
- 25.06.2017Iraqi forces free hundreds of civilians in Mosul Old City battles as death toll mounts
- 24.06.2017Iran arrests Islamic State-linked group planning attack
- 24.06.2017Bomber planning to attack Mecca's Grand Mosque blows himself up
- 24.06.2017Saudi Security Forces foil attack on Mecca's grand mosque
- 24.06.2017Arab states issue ultimatum to Qatar: close Jazeera, curb ties with Iran
- 24.06.2017Separate blasts kill 40 in Pakistan: police
- 23.06.2017Iraqi forces battle toward heart of Mosul's Old City
- 23.06.2017Arab nations demand Qatar close Al-Jazeera, cut diplomatic ties to Iran, shutter Turkish base
- 23.06.2017North Korea Conducts Rocket Engine Test
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists surrender in SE Turkey
- 22.06.2017Dozens killed in Afghanistan as car bomb hits bank branch
- 22.06.2017Iran's Khamenei ordered missile strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria: Guards
- 22.06.2017Cuban FM: Trump's statements on Cuba do not conflict earlier agreements
- 22.06.2017China to launch four important satellites by 2020
- 22.06.2017First aid ship from Turkey setting sail for Qatar
- 21.06.2017Saudi king deposes crown prince, names son as successor
- 21.06.2017Air strikes pound southwest Syrian city of Deraa
- 20.06.201726 injured in Chinese plane crash
- 20.06.20173 Iran Revolutionary Guards detained in Saudi Arabia
- 20.06.2017Militant leader reportedly killed on Iran-Pakistan border
- 20.06.2017Four foreign inmates break out of Bali jail using tunnel
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 15.06.2017Bomb blast near Kabul mosque kills 6, injures 10
- 15.06.2017Deadly explosion rocks Chinese kindergarten and kills at least 7
- 15.06.2017Two pilots of missing Malaysian military aircraft found dead
- 15.06.2017One wounded in missile attack on UAE ship off Yemen coast
- 14.06.2017100,000 evacuated as typhoon merbok hits South China
- 14.06.2017Saudi soldier killed in landmine blast
- 14.06.2017Turkish court remands 34 FETO suspects in custody
- 13.06.2017Oil prices edge up as Saudis limit exports to Asia, U.S.
- 13.06.2017Turkish military team in Qatar for troop deployment
- 13.06.2017U.S.-backed Syrian fighters reach old city walls in Islamic State-held Raqqa
- 17.06.2017Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017Three Palestinians shot dead after killing Israeli officer
- 16.06.2017Mattis Made no decisions on troop levels for Afghanistan - Pentagon
- 15.06.2017Iranian Laser targets US forces in Strait of Hormuz