Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Bahrain affirmed Friday that their recent moves to diplomatically isolate Qatar are within their rights to protect national security, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“Decisions to cut ties with Qatar are a sovereign right of the States concerned and aim to protect their national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism,” said a joint declaration by the UN envoys of Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain.
The statement came in response to remarks Wednesday by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein expressing “alarm” about the human rights impact of cutting off ties.
The three Gulf states said they were ready to work with relevant authorities “to maintain security, to combat terrorism and to safeguard the stability and well-being of the people of the region”.
Separately, at a joint news conference alongside British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said his country was working on a list of complaints against Qatar, according to a Saudi news channel.
On June 5, five Arab countries -- Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain and Yemen -- abruptly cut off diplomatic relations with Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism.
Qatar denied the accusations, calling the moves to diplomatically isolate it "unjustified”.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Lavrov: Russia will consider ceasefire in Syria
- 22.02.2018N Korea calls US-Japan missile drills provocation against Intra-Korean Dialogue
- 22.02.2018Over 400 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 22.02.2018Ziyad Sabsabi: "There are about 15 children who lost their parents in Iraq"
- 22.02.2018North Korea canceled planned meeting with Pence
- 21.02.2018North Korea cancelled talks with US Vice President
- 21.02.2018Talks between Erbil, Baghdad reach final stages: PM
- 20.02.2018Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation comes under massive fire
- 20.02.2018Palestine ready to exchange minor territories with Israel - Abbas
- 20.02.2018Turkish President: Syrian forces tried to enter Afrin, retreated after Turkey's shelling
- 20.02.2018YPG/PKK-Daesh terror groups shell Turkey's south Hatay
- 20.02.2018Maldives leader seeks approval to extend state of emergency
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 17.06.2017Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017Three Palestinians shot dead after killing Israeli officer
- 16.06.2017Mattis Made no decisions on troop levels for Afghanistan - Pentagon
- 15.06.2017Iranian Laser targets US forces in Strait of Hormuz