Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain defend blockade on Qatar
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Bahrain affirmed Friday that their recent moves to diplomatically isolate Qatar are within their rights to protect national security, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“Decisions to cut ties with Qatar are a sovereign right of the States concerned and aim to protect their national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism,” said a joint declaration by the UN envoys of Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain.
The statement came in response to remarks Wednesday by UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein expressing “alarm” about the human rights impact of cutting off ties.
The three Gulf states said they were ready to work with relevant authorities “to maintain security, to combat terrorism and to safeguard the stability and well-being of the people of the region”.
Separately, at a joint news conference alongside British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said his country was working on a list of complaints against Qatar, according to a Saudi news channel.
On June 5, five Arab countries -- Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain and Yemen -- abruptly cut off diplomatic relations with Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism.
Qatar denied the accusations, calling the moves to diplomatically isolate it "unjustified”.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Yemen: 8 get death for collaborating with coalition
- 26.04.2018South Korea's Moon to meet North Korea's Kim at border for summit
- 25.04.2018Rouhani: US sets eyes on Arabian black gold reserves, bank accounts
- 24.04.20186 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in N.Iraq
- 24.04.2018North Korean leader mourns deaths of Chinese tourists
- 24.04.2018Magnitude 5.1 earthquake strikes southeastern Turkey
- 24.04.2018Southern China karaoke lounge fire kills 18 - police
- 24.04.2018Saudi-led air strikes kill at least 20 at Yemen wedding
- 23.04.2018Russian, Chinese FMs call for peace in Syria
- 23.04.20187 killed, 2 injured in SW China road accident
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 17.06.2017Afghanistan: 700 pro-Daesh militants killed in 3 months
- 17.06.2017At least three injured, seven missing after U.S. Navy destroyer collides with merchant vessel off Japan
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack
- 17.06.2017Three Palestinians shot dead after killing Israeli officer
- 16.06.2017Mattis Made no decisions on troop levels for Afghanistan - Pentagon
- 15.06.2017Iranian Laser targets US forces in Strait of Hormuz