Saudi guards fire on Iranian boat, killing fisherman
Saudi border guards have opened fire on an Iranian fishing boat in the Gulf, killing a fisherman, Iran's Tasnim news agency said on Saturday, amid high tension between the two rival states, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"Two Iranian boats that were fishing in the waters of the Persian Gulf were pushed off their course by waves. There was shooting by Saudi border guards ... and one Iranian fisherman was killed," the semi-official agency quoted an Interior Ministry official as saying.
"We are pursuing this matter to determine if the Iranian boats had crossed the Saudi border or not, but the action of the Saudis does not comply with humanitarian and navigational principles," Majid Aqababai, director general of the ministry's border affairs, was quoted by Tasnim as saying.
There was no immediate Saudi reaction. Iranian reports said the incident happened late on Friday.
Relations between the two countries are at their worst in years. Last week Riyadh, along with other Arab governments, severed ties with Qatar, citing its support of Iran as a reason.
Days later, suicide bombings and shootings in Tehran killed 17 people. Shi'ite Muslim Iran repeated accusations that Saudi Arabia funds Sunni Islamist militants, including Islamic State. Riyadh has denied involvement in the attacks.
Iran and Saudi Arabia accuse each other of subverting regional security and support opposite sides in conflicts in Syria, Yemen and Iraq.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Tillerson makes unannounced visit to Afghanistan
- 22.10.2017Super Typhoon Lan to make direct hit on Tokyo
- 21.10.2017North Korea has the missile technology to destroy US carriers near its shores
- 21.10.2017Moscow welcomes any action to combat ISIL
- 21.10.2017Rockets strike downtown Kabul, no casualties reported
- 21.10.2017Iraqi forces take control of town in Mosul
- 21.10.2017Suicide bombers attack two Afghan mosques, at least 72 dead - UPDATED
- 21.10.2017Iranian commander issued stark warning to Iraqi Kurds over Kirkuk
- 20.10.2017Lebanon sentences 2 to death for 1982 assassination
- 20.10.2017North Korea says to continue nuclear tests
- 20.10.20171 police dies, 4 injured in northern Iraq attack
- 19.10.2017Erbil says ready to hold talks with Baghdad
- 19.10.2017Turkish jets kill 4 PKK terrorists in northern Iraq
- 19.10.2017North Korea warns U.S. could face 'unimaginable' strike
- 19.10.2017Taliban insurgents kill at least 40 soldiers in Afghanistan
- 18.10.2017North Korea building new ballistic missile submarine
- 18.10.2017Iraq's Kurd region halts preparations for Nov. 1 polls
- 18.10.2017Raqqa drone video shows the city in Ruins
- 18.10.2017Communist Party of China opens the 19th National Congress
- 18.10.2017North Korean official: We won’t negotiate until we can strike US east coast
- 17.10.20172 UAE pilots killed in Yemen crash
- 17.10.2017Raqqa: IS 'capital' falls to US-backed Syrian forces
- 17.10.2017At least 50 killed in Taliban attacks on Afghan police - UPDATED
- 17.10.2017Massive Us-South Korean naval war games begin near Korean peninsula
- 17.10.2017Four nations meet to resume stalled Afghan peace talks in Oman
- 17.10.2017Iraq forces seize main govt HQ in Kirkuk: Police source
- 16.10.2017Arshad Al-Salihi: Kirkuk under control of Iraqi army and federal police
- 15.10.2017ISIL linked leader trapped, heavy Philippine fighting
- 15.10.2017Islamic State loses al-Mayadeen in eastern Syria
- 14.10.2017Tomahawks near the DPRK serious challenge to Pyongyang
- 14.10.2017Turkmen militia, Peshmerga clash in northern Iraq
- 14.10.2017‘Closer to the trigger’: North Korea renews promise to bomb Guam if attacked
- 14.10.2017UAE says fully supports new U.S. policy against Iran
- 13.10.2017US president’s anti-Iran speech pile of delusional claims: Rouhani
- 13.10.2017Small Quake Rattles North Korea Nuclear Testing Grounds, Not Manmade: South Korea
- 13.10.2017Turkish military convoy enters Syria's Idlib
- 12.10.2017Iraq refuses talks with Kurds unless they commit to unity
- 12.10.2017Israel starts preparations to withdraw from UNESCO
- 11.10.2017Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'big test' for parties
- 11.10.2017US flies bombers over Korean peninsula with South Korean, Japanese fighter jets
- 18.06.201717 PKK terrorists killed in N. Iraq, SE Turkey
- 18.06.2017500 Turkish soldiers hospitalized in western Turkey
- 19.06.2017U.S., Russia, Iran draw new red lines in Syria
- 17.06.2017Russian warplanes kill 2 top IS commanders: defense ministry
- 17.06.2017Syrian army declares 48-hour cease-fire in Daraa city
- 17.06.2017Vanuatu president dies after sudden heart attack