Terrorist inmates at Indonesian prison free officer
Armed terrorist inmates at a maximum-security detention center in Indonesia’s West Java province released a police officer Thursday who was among those taken hostage following a riot that left six dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Brigadier Iwan Sarjana has been successfully released,” National Police spokesman Inspector Gen. Setyo Wasisto said at a press conference as quoted by the Kompas.com news site.
Sarjana was freed after midnight after police met a request from the inmates for food supplies.
"The release took place after negotiations. They asked for food, so we persuaded them to release [a hostage] first," said Wasisto.
He said Sarjana suffered injuries and bruises to his face and body and has been hospitalized.
Sarjana and five of his colleagues were taken hostage Tuesday night when a standoff developed into a hostage situation between inmates and prison officials at the National Police's Mobile Brigade detention center in Depok, which houses imprisoned Daesh militants.
The five officers were killed along with one terrorist inmate during the clashes.
Wasisto said a team of negotiators is still in talks with the terrorist inmates because they are in possession of several guns seized from police during the riot.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Civilians killed in Afghanistan air strike: officials
- 19.07.2018Buildings collapse in Delhi killing at least three, more feared dead
- 19.07.201810 injured in 4 explosions in Iraq’s Kirkuk
- 18.07.2018Yemen's Houthis say they attacked Aramco refinery in Riyadh with drone
- 17.07.2018Unknown military aircraft crashes in Northern Syria
- 17.07.2018Women in Saudi Arabia Will Soon Be Able to Train as Pilots
- 17.07.2018Iran ready to boost uranium enrichment if talks with EU fail - Official
- 17.07.2018Protests in Iraq leave 5 dead, 190 injured
- 17.07.2018Syrian army says it captures strategic hill overlooking Israeli border
- 15.07.2018Indonesian police shoot dead three suspected militants
- 15.07.2018Rouhani: "The US ‘more isolated than ever’ over Iran sanctions"
- 14.07.2018At least 10 killed by landslide in northern Myanmar
- 14.07.2018Velayati: Russia wants to create joint electrical grid with Iran, Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018China floods wreak havoc, block roads and railways
- 14.07.2018Palestinian teenager killed in Israel-Gaza border protests
- 13.07.2018Suicide bomber kills 128 in attack on Pakistani election rally
- 13.07.2018Former Pakistani premier Sharif arrested in Lahore
- 13.07.2018Indian planes carrying more than 300 people avoid mid-air collision by 200 feet
- 12.07.2018FBI Presents New Details on Lead Up to Saddam Hussein's Interrogation
- 12.07.2018Kim Jong-un: "Extraordinary efforts' made by Trump for improving US-N Korea ties
- 11.07.2018Iran Supreme Leader's aide hails 'strategic' ties with Russia before Putin talks
- 11.07.201812 killed in election rally in NW Pakistan
- 10.07.2018Death toll in Japan flood disaster rises to 156
- 10.07.2018Last remaining kid, coach evacuated from Thai cave - media
- 10.07.2018At least 140 dead after heavy rain and landslides in Japan
- 09.07.2018Death toll rises to 126 in W. Japan after flood, rain
- 08.07.2018Japan floods and heavy rain leave at least 41 dead, dozens missing - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018North Korea regrets US stance at talks
- 07.07.2018Iran calls for EU help as shipping giant pulls out for fear of U.S. sanctions
- 07.07.2018Insider attack in S. Afghanistan kills 1 US serviceman, injures 2 others - NATO - UPDATED
- 07.07.2018Indian army kills 3 civilians in southern Kashmir
- 07.07.2018Both sides seek to 'clarify' as Pompeo holds second day of North Korea talks
- 07.07.2018No breakthrough in nuclear talks as Iran demands more after U.S. exit
- 07.07.2018Israeli air strike hits Syria at Golan frontier
- 07.07.2018Palestinian killed as Gaza protests against Israel enter fourth month
- 07.07.2018Second Saudi teen kills self after playing online game
- 06.07.2018Iranian leader describes EU proposals to save JCPOA as ‘disappointing’
- 05.07.2018German Coalition parties reach deal on Migration
- 05.07.2018Iranian FM summons German, French, Belgian diplomats
- 05.07.2018Pakistani court sends fake degree mill owner to jail
- 10.05.2018Assad: Russia will not allow third world war in Syria
- 10.05.2018Iran won't discuss any provision of current nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 11.05.2018Iran does not want new tensions in the region — president
- 10.05.2018Israel says hit dozens of Iranian targets in Syria
- 10.05.2018Singapore likely summit venue after North Korea releases prisoners: U.S. official
- 10.05.2018China's won't change stance on trade talks with U.S.: China commerce ministry