Terrorist inmates at Indonesian prison free officer
Armed terrorist inmates at a maximum-security detention center in Indonesia’s West Java province released a police officer Thursday who was among those taken hostage following a riot that left six dead, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"Brigadier Iwan Sarjana has been successfully released,” National Police spokesman Inspector Gen. Setyo Wasisto said at a press conference as quoted by the Kompas.com news site.
Sarjana was freed after midnight after police met a request from the inmates for food supplies.
"The release took place after negotiations. They asked for food, so we persuaded them to release [a hostage] first," said Wasisto.
He said Sarjana suffered injuries and bruises to his face and body and has been hospitalized.
Sarjana and five of his colleagues were taken hostage Tuesday night when a standoff developed into a hostage situation between inmates and prison officials at the National Police's Mobile Brigade detention center in Depok, which houses imprisoned Daesh militants.
The five officers were killed along with one terrorist inmate during the clashes.
Wasisto said a team of negotiators is still in talks with the terrorist inmates because they are in possession of several guns seized from police during the riot.
Related news releases
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.05.2018Fiery cleric Sadr taps anger over Iran to lead Iraq poll
- 15.05.2018Hezbollah says rocket attack on Israeli-occupied Golan marks 'new phase'
- 15.05.2018Netanyahu calls Israeli actions in Gaza self-defense against Hamas
- 14.05.2018Kuwait seeks UN Securtity Council meeting over Gaza
- 14.05.2018Oil gains on OPEC report; U.S. crude discount to Brent deepens
- 14.05.2018At least 52 Palestinians killed by Israeli army at Gaza border - UPDATED-4
- 14.05.2018U.S. embassy opens in Jerusalem
- 13.05.2018Daesh-inspired group carried out deadly suicide attacks in Indonesia
- 13.05.2018Serial explosions occur in Indonesia, at least two killed, over a dozen injured
- 12.05.2018North Korea details plans to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018North Korea announces nuclear test site dismantling ceremony for May
- 12.05.2018Explosion damages vessel carrying wheat to Yemen
- 12.05.2018Israel to Assad: Get rid of your Iranian allies, they will harm you
- 12.05.2018Israeli gunfire kills Palestinian as border protest builds to climax
- 11.05.2018Israeli soldier wounded in car-ramming attack in West Bank
- 11.05.2018Iranians hold nationwide rallies to condemn US breach of contract
- 11.05.20187 people, including 4 children, found dead at home in southwestern Australia
- 11.05.2018Russia, Iran vow to adhere to nuclear deal
- 10.05.2018Syrian state media: Israeli missiles hit Syrian air defenses, radar - UPDATED
- 10.05.2018Assad: Russia will not allow third world war in Syria
- 10.05.2018Iran won't discuss any provision of current nuclear deal - UPDATED
- 11.05.2018Iran does not want new tensions in the region — president
- 10.05.2018Israel says hit dozens of Iranian targets in Syria
- 10.05.2018Singapore likely summit venue after North Korea releases prisoners: U.S. official
- 10.05.2018China's won't change stance on trade talks with U.S.: China commerce ministry