Trump arrives in Japan, first in five-country Asian tour
President Donald Trump touched down in Japan late Saturday ahead of a 13-day trek through Asia that he hopes will divert from a bruising political controversy back home, APA reports quoting CNN.
Trump rallied American and Japanese forces at an air base near Tokyo on Sunday, touting the strength of the US-Japanese alliance as he began his five-country tour through Asia, where he is set to focus on the North Korean threat.
Praising the assembled troops as "brave warriors" who are "the last bulwark against threats" facing the US and Japan, Trump thanked American servicemembers stationed at Yokota Air Base and talked up the US military prowess in the region.
"We dominate the sky. We dominate the seas. We dominate the land and space," Trump said soon after donning a flight jacket presented to him after he stepped off Air Force One.
Trump's remarks were devoid the kinds of direct threats he has previously aimed at the North Korean regime, with the President instead choosing to focus on the US-Japanese alliance and the peaceful aims of US military might in the region.
"You put hope in every soul that yearns for peace," Trump told the assembled troops.
Air Force One landed at the US-controlled Yokota Air Base outside Tokyo at about 9:37 p.m. ET Saturday (10:37 a.m. Sunday local time). Trump is due to address American servicemen and women stationed at the facility before beginning his official visit with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
On his first swing through a continent gripped with tension over a nuclear standoff on its eastern edge, Trump will carry out high-stakes talks with the leaders of Japan, South Korea, and China, and attend days of summits in Vietnam and the Philippines.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 06.01.2018Iran stages pro-government rallies, cleric urges firm punishment for protest leaders
- 05.01.2018North Korea agrees to talks after U.S., South Korea postpone military drills
- 05.01.2018UN experts urge Iran to respect rights of protesters, end internet crackdown
- 05.01.2018North Korea accepts January 9 talks offer from South Korea
- 05.01.2018Storm causes severe power outages in thousands of homes in New Zealand
- 05.01.2018Suicide attack kills 10 in Afghan capital
- 04.01.2018Envoy slams US attempts to intervene in Iran’s domestic affairs
- 04.01.2018Russia says two military personnel killed in Hmeymim airbase shelling on December 31
- 04.01.2018Iran officers killed by 'anti-revolutionaries': Report
- 04.01.2018European linked to Iran protests arrested
- 04.01.2018Yemen's Houthis release ex-president Saleh’s spokesman
- 06.11.2017Pakistani diplomatic official killed in Afghanistan
- 07.11.2017North Korea threatens ‘merciless retaliation’ to Trump’s remarks’
- 07.11.2017Saudi-led forces close air, sea and land access to Yemen
- 05.11.2017Dozens killed, injured in Syria refugee camp blast - SANA
- 05.11.2017Russian bombers strike IS facilities in Syria
- 05.11.2017Saudi Arabia arrests princes, ministers for corruption - UPDATED