Trump: North Korea sanctions will remain, but ‘war games’ to end
US sanctions on North Korea will remain in place despite the signing of a new agreement between Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the US president told journalists in Singapore on Tuesday, APA reported citing Financial Times.
Trump’s statement came just hours after the two leaders signed a pact which included a pledge to work towards “complete denuclearization” on the Korean peninsula. The agreement, which also said Trump had committed to provide security guarantees to North Korea, was signed following a historic summit between the two leaders.
Trump said he believed his North Korean counterpart would live up to the agreement. But “in the meantime the sanctions will remain in effect,” he said.
The US president said the summit marked a “great moment in the history of the world”.
The agreement with North Korea did not currently envision removing the 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea.
However, Trump signaled he favored a long-term plan to reduce US troop numbers from South Korea and said the US “will be stopping the war games” — a reference to the regular US joint military exercises with South Korea, and a huge concession to the North Korean leader.
“We will be stopping the war games which will save us a tremendous amount of money. It is very provocative,” he said.
The president also stressed that denuclearization would be verifiable by international and US experts.
The leaders have agreed to have follow-on negotiations led by Mike Pompeo, secretary of state, and a senior North Korean official.
Trump said he had invited Kim to visit the White House at “the appropriate time” and that the North Korean leader had accepted his invitation.
Related news releases
- 24.06.2018Russian military demines Syria's Al-Naseriyah, South Douma
- 24.06.2018Senior Iranian Commander killed in Syria
- 24.06.2018Landmark day for Saudi women as kingdom's controversial driving ban ends
- 23.06.2018Turkey neutralizes at least 11 PKK terrorists in ops
- 23.06.20186 killed in landslide in Myanmar's northernmost state
- 22.06.2018Turkish army neutralizes 87 PKK terrorists in a week
- 22.06.2018Saudi-led coalition faces tough battle for Yemen's Hodeidah port
- 21.06.2018Trump: North Korea blowing up test sites, 'total denuclearization...has already started'
- 21.06.2018Syria’s Idlib rocked by twin bombings; 5 killed
- 21.06.2018North Korea preparing to destroy ICBM test site
- 21.06.201810 killed in road accident in NW Pakistan
- 21.06.2018Turkish airstrikes cause serious losses to PKK in Iraq
- 20.06.2018More than 240 undocumented migrants held across Turkey
- 20.06.2018Iran says no plans to increase missile range, rejects talks with Trump
- 20.06.2018North Korea expected to begin transferring remains of U.S. troops soon: officials
- 20.06.2018North Korea, China discuss 'true peace', denuclearization: KCNA
- 20.06.2018Uzbekistan starts direct negotiations with Taliban
- 20.06.2018Afghan president offers year of ceasefire to Taliban
- 19.06.2018Iran rules out OPEC deal as Russia, Saudi push for oil output hike
- 19.06.2018Russia, Saudi push for big hike in oil output despite Iran opposition
- 19.06.2018MERS kills scores in Saudi Arabia
- 19.06.2018North Korea's Kim in China; U.S., South Korea suspend military drill
- 19.06.2018US, Turkey start patrols in Manbij
- 19.06.2018Jordan’s king, Israeli PM hold discussions in Amman
- 18.06.2018Six Iraqis killed in Daesh ambush near Mosul: Official
- 18.06.2018US airstrikes kill 22 Hashd al-Shaabi fighters in Iraq
- 18.06.2018Turkish soldiers enter outer districts of north Syria's Manbij
- 16.06.2018Turkey hits 'critical gathering' of PKK in north Iraq
- 16.06.2018Blast taints cease-fire in Afghanistan, 20 killed
- 15.06.2018Yemen gov’t forces take Al-Hudaydah’s southern entrance
- 14.06.2018Kashmiri journalist shot dead
- 14.06.2018Moon celebrates peace as Koreas hold military talks
- 12.06.2018U.S. unveils de facto embassy in Taiwan amid China tensions
- 12.06.2018Trump says summit with North Korea's Kim is 'very, very good'
- 12.06.2018North Korea's Kim visits Singapore's sky bar, gardens in surprise evening tour
- 12.06.2018Kim set a deadline for ending summit, prompting earlier exit by Trump
- 12.06.2018Qatar sues United Arab Emirates at UN rights court
- 11.06.2018Former NBA star Rodman arrives in Singapore for Trump-Kim summit
- 11.06.2018Turkey launches anti-PKK ops in Qandil Mountains – Erdogan
- 11.06.2018Iran warns North Korea of US breach of promise
- 13.06.2018Iraq: Al-Sadr allies with Fatah to form majority group
- 13.06.2018Russian military seize arms cache in Syria’s Homs province
- 13.06.2018Arab states launch biggest assault of Yemen war with attack on main port
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim sign document following Singapore meeting
- 12.06.2018Ex-NBA star Rodman bursts in tears after historic Trump, Kim handshake
- 12.06.2018Trump and Kim complete extended format talks - UPDATED-1