Turkish court releases more than 40 FETO suspects
A total of 42 people imprisoned for suspected links with Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) have been released in the last two days by Turkish courts, according to a security official Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the July 15, 2016, defeated coup that left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 others injured.
The suspects had been accused of using the encrypted ByLock mobile app linked to FETO, the official, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
On Friday, 293 people were also released.
Their release follows an announcement Wednesday that some alleged ByLock users had been unwittingly “directed” to the app.
Investigators have discovered that 11,480 smartphone users were directed to ByLock app without their knowledge, Ankara Chief Prosecutor's office said on Wednesday.
They have now been removed from an updated list of ByLock users passed to prosecutors across Turkey while courts have also been told to reexamine such cases.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018Pentagon training PYD/PKK-led ally as ‘hold force’
- 18.01.2018Bus catches fire in Kazakhstan, killing 52
- 18.01.2018Palestinian teen ordered held until end of Israeli military trial
- 18.01.2018North Korea rejects sanctions talk, ready for 'successful' Olympics: diplomat
- 17.01.2018Syria talks to be held in Vienna next week
- 17.01.2018North, South Korea to march together under one flag at Winter Olympics
- 17.01.2018Date set for Syrian National Dialogue Congress in Sochi
- 17.01.2018Iran’s President has called a top priority for the Islamic world
- 16.01.2018UN rapporteur on Myanmar to meet refugees in Bangladesh
- 16.01.2018PYD/PKK activities in Afrin seen from Turkish border
- 16.01.2018Japan apologizes for false North Korean missile alert
- 16.01.2018Militant ambush kills 5 paramilitary troops in Pakistan
- 16.01.2018Barzani's party to boycott election
- 15.01.2018North Korean orchestra to perform in South during Olympics amid easing tensions
- 15.01.2018Erdogan vows Turkey will crush 'terror army' in northern Syria
- 15.01.2018UAE says Qatari jet fighters intercepted civilian flights
- 14.01.2018Iraqi PM announces coalition for May election
- 14.01.2018South Korea and North Korea to hold working-level talks on January 15
- 14.01.20184 schoolchildren drown in India as boat capsizes
- 13.01.2018Turkish military convoy dispatched to Syrian border
- 13.01.2018Erdoğan says Turkey will clear border of YPG terrorists
- 13.01.2018Iran rejects Trump's call for changes to nuclear deal
- 13.01.2018Agenda of Nazarbayev-Trump talks revealed
- 13.01.2018Nearly 2,000 Palestinians clash with Israeli forces in Gaza, West Bank
- 12.01.2018Israel to close 7 diplomatic mission worldwide: Haaretz
- 12.01.2018Unidentified gunman kills 4 women in western Iran
- 11.01.2018Magnitude 4.7 earthquake hits western Iran
- 10.01.2018Iranian FM Zarif to visit Moscow today
- 10.01.2018UN Security Council to discuss humanitarian situation in Syria’s Raqqa at Russia’s request
- 09.01.2018Bomb hits police vehicle in Pakistan's Balochistan, 7 killed
- 09.01.2018Turkey summons Russian, Iranian envoys over Syria Safe Zone violation - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Khamenei: Recent damage inflicted on Iran by U.S. will gain a response
- 09.01.2018Seoul-Pyongyang talks on participation of North Korea in Olympic Games kick off
- 08.01.2018Husseinali Amiri: "Development of relations with Azerbaijan is Iran's strategic policy"
- 08.01.20187 Houthi rebels killed in Yemen’s Taiz
- 08.01.2018Gun battle in Jammu Kashmir kills 3
- 07.01.2018Over 30 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 06.01.2018Eleven Saudi princes detained following protest over utility bills
- 06.01.2018Four policemen killed in blast in Jammu and Kashmir’s Sopore
- 06.01.2018Yemeni Chief of General Staff Injured in Mine Blast Near Saudi Border
- 30.12.2017Syrian army liberates 8 settlements in North of Hama Province
- 31.12.2017More than 1,000 ceasefire agreements digned in Syria in 2017
- 02.01.2018One of the leaders of the Iraqi Turkmen Front killed
- 30.12.2017Protest demonstrations spread to Tehran
- 30.12.2017Protesters rally in Iran as demonstrations spread
- 30.12.2017Thousands of Palestinians take part in anti-Trump protests