Turkish court releases more than 40 FETO suspects
A total of 42 people imprisoned for suspected links with Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) have been released in the last two days by Turkish courts, according to a security official Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the July 15, 2016, defeated coup that left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 others injured.
The suspects had been accused of using the encrypted ByLock mobile app linked to FETO, the official, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
On Friday, 293 people were also released.
Their release follows an announcement Wednesday that some alleged ByLock users had been unwittingly “directed” to the app.
Investigators have discovered that 11,480 smartphone users were directed to ByLock app without their knowledge, Ankara Chief Prosecutor's office said on Wednesday.
They have now been removed from an updated list of ByLock users passed to prosecutors across Turkey while courts have also been told to reexamine such cases.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Iran 'ready' to resume nuke program if US leaves deal
- 22.04.2018India seeks death penalty for child rapists
- 22.04.2018Saudi police: Riyadh's shooting targeted toy drone - UPDATED
- 22.04.2018Arms seized from militants shown in Syria’s Douma
- 22.04.2018Fears of a coup are sparked in Saudi Arabia after heavy gunfire erupts near the Royal Palace
- 21.04.2018PKK terror attack kills civilian in eastern Turkey
- 21.04.2018Japan’s Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests
- 21.04.2018Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest
- 21.04.2018North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site
- 21.04.2018Twenty killed in air strike in southwest Yemen: residents
- 21.04.2018Tehran warns Israel: Our ‘hands are on the trigger’
- 20.04.201829 Daesh terrorists killed in Iraq by airstrikes
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 30.12.2017Syrian army liberates 8 settlements in North of Hama Province
- 31.12.2017More than 1,000 ceasefire agreements digned in Syria in 2017
- 02.01.2018One of the leaders of the Iraqi Turkmen Front killed
- 30.12.2017Protest demonstrations spread to Tehran
- 30.12.2017Protesters rally in Iran as demonstrations spread
- 30.12.2017Thousands of Palestinians take part in anti-Trump protests