Two pilots of missing Malaysian military aircraft found dead
The two pilots flying the Malaysian air force Hawk 108 training aircraft, which was reportedly missing earlier, have been found dead in a forest swamp, the Malaysian air force commander Affendi bin Buang said at a press conference on Thursday, Xinhua reported.
The two pilots, aged 31 and 39 respectively, were found in the state of wearing their parachute, but the cause of death were yet to be determined, according to a report from Bernama news agency. The wreckage of the missing plane, a two-seat trainer jet, is also yet to be found.
The plane took off from an airbase in Kuantan at 11:00 a.m. local time but lost contact half an hour later.
Affendi announced at the press conference that the air force will form a special body to investigate the incident, and before that, all Hawk 108 flights will be suspended.
Hawk is a single-engine training jet manufactured by British BAE systems. It could be also used as a combat aircraft.
Aviation International News reported in March that BAE Systems will help the Malaysian air force, which previously operates six Hawk 108s, upgrade the 12 single-seat 208s. The Hawk jets were all purchased in the 1990s.
Related news releases
- 22.08.201718 injured after bus overturns in Indian-controlled Kashmir
- 22.08.2017Top U.S. general in Afghanistan says new strategy based on conditions not timelines
- 22.08.2017Clashes in Palestinian camp in South Lebanon leave 2 killed, 8 injured
- 22.08.2017Iraqi forces kill several foreign Daesh militants by shelling Tal Afar
- 22.08.2017Rocket strikes downtown Kabul
- 22.08.2017S Korean President Warns of Dangerous Fallout From Any US-N Korea Conflict
- 20.08.2017Australian men charged with terrorism over mosque fires
- 20.08.2017Iraqi PM says start of operation to liberate Tal Afar from ISIL underway
- 20.08.2017Saudi central bank says Qatari pilgrims can change riyals
- 19.08.2017Israel's Netanyahu to discuss Middle East with Putin
- 19.08.2017DPRK accuses Japan of planning cyberspace war of aggression
- 19.08.201720 killed, more than 150 injured after 6 coaches of train derails in northern India
- 19.08.2017Floods kill 10 people, displace 11,000 in South China
- 19.08.2017Lebanese army launches operation against Islamic State
- 19.08.2017Yemen violence worsening, more access to north needed: U.N.
- 17.08.2017Suicide blast in Gaza kills police officer, hurts five
- 17.08.2017Iranian president urges EU to step up efforts in nuclear deal implementation
- 17.08.2017Kyrgyz opposition leader convicted ahead of election
- 16.08.2017Detained Iran opposition leader goes on hunger strike
- 16.08.2017Afghanistan, Pakistan agree on need to restore trust
- 16.08.2017Mass graves found after Afghan forces recapture Shia village from Taliban
- 16.08.2017Turkish military kills 3 PKK terrorists in Iraq
- 16.08.2017North Korea delays Guam missile firing, U.S. says dialogue up to Kim
- 15.08.2017Syrian Military Jet Crashes in Suwayda Province - UPDATED
- 15.08.2017Philippines, ASEAN urge dialogue with North Korea
- 15.08.2017Fighting between Moro groups in Philippines kills 25
- 15.08.2017North Korea delays plan to fire missiles toward Guam
- 15.08.2017Iran appoints chief of influential expediency council
- 14.08.2017Blast kills six in Pakistan's southwest
- 14.08.2017Turkish jets kill 13 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.08.2017Quake of magnitude 6.5 strikes off Indonesian island of Sumatra
- 13.08.20178 PKK terrorists killed in southeast Turkey
- 13.08.2017Bomb kills at least 15 in Pakistani city of Quetta
- 12.08.2017Former Afghan police chief jailed on corruption charges
- 12.08.2017Laos to withdraw troops from disputed border area with Cambodia
- 12.08.2017Flooding kills 11 in Iran’s northeast, west
- 12.08.201730 children die in hospital in northern India: medical official
- 11.08.2017Myanmar: Swine flu deaths go up to 23
- 11.08.2017U.S.-led coalition targets IS financial centers
- 11.08.201736 dead, 13 injured in NW China road accident
- 05.08.2014Sunni militants target Iraq's two biggest dams
- 05.08.2014Palestinians, Israel agree 72-hour truce: officials
- 05.08.2014Afghan attack kills US major general, wounds 15 - UPDATED
- 04.08.2014Iraq gov't backs Kurds, as Kurdish forces retake town from insurgents
- 04.08.2014Iraq PM orders air force to help Kurds in war with Islamic State
- 04.08.2014Iran blasts UN Security Council inaction on Gaza