Two U.S. soldiers killed, two wounded by Afghan commando
At least two American soldiers were killed and two others wounded on Saturday when an Afghan commando opened fire on them in eastern Afghanistan, a local official said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The shooting occurred in Achin district, where U.S. special forces have been fighting alongside Afghan troops against Islamic State and Taliban militants, said Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor.
The commando was also killed in the incident, Khogyani said.
"The cause of the shooting is not clear. An investigation has already begun," he said.
A spokesman for the U.S. military command in Kabul said they were aware of the report but could not yet confirm any details.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the shooter was a member of the militant group and had killed four Americans and wounded several more.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Turkish court remands 3 senior FETO members
- 20.04.2018Four Saudi security forces killed by gunmen in southern province
- 19.04.2018U.N. team fired upon in Syria while visiting suspected chemical sites
- 18.04.2018Peace treaty with North Korea possible following denuclearization
- 18.04.2018Iranian helicopter crashes into Persian Gulf
- 17.04.2018Putin, Merkel discuss Syria — Kremlin
- 14.04.2018Rouhani, Assad hold phone conversation
- 14.04.2018Ali Khamenei accuses US, France and Britain of crime
- 14.04.2018Iranian FM: US, British, French aggression on Syria breaches international laws
- 14.04.2018Israel: Strikes in Syria an 'important signal' to Iran, Syria and Hezbollah
- 14.04.2018Syrian air defenses shot down 13 missiles: state TV
- 14.04.2018Israel says Iranian drone it shot down in February was carrying explosives
- 13.04.2018Russia claims chemical attack in Syria was 'staged and directed by UK'
- 12.04.2018Turkish army neutralizes 3 PKK/PYD-YPG terrorists
- 12.04.2018At least 16 killed by bombing to the north of Baghdad
- 12.04.2018Russian MFA: Israeli air force’s missile strikes on Syria coincident with intensified activities of ISIS
- 12.04.2018Erdogan: Supporters of murderous Assad and PYD are mistaken
- 12.04.2018Israel warns Iran not to test its determination
- 11.04.2018Saudi-led coalition says it does not seek permanent Yemen presence
- 10.04.2018Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre
- 10.04.2018Iraq to take "all necessary measures" to prevent IS attacks from Syria, PM says
- 10.04.2018Iran’s Zarif dismisses Trump’s Syria chemical attack comments
- 10.04.2018Erdogan: Perpetrators of E. Ghouta massacre to pay 'heavy price'
- 10.04.20184 Saudi soldiers die along Yemen's border
- 10.04.2018North Korea tells U.S. it is prepared to discuss denuclearization
- 10.04.2018As prince visits, Saudi Aramco to sign $10 billion of deals in France
- 10.04.2018Syria: 15 reported killed, 36 injured in Idlib blast
- 09.04.2018Russian military: no traces of chemical attack in Syria's Douma
- 09.04.201826 children dead as school bus falls into gorge in India
- 09.04.2018Syrian T-4 airfield hit by Israel’s F-15 jets – Russian Defense Ministry
- 08.04.2018Afghan air strike kills IS commander
- 07.04.2018US Embassy vehicle kills motorcyclist in Pakistan
- 07.04.2018China's state media says U.S. tariff action will be defeated
- 07.04.2018Russia says it will respond firmly to new U.S. sanctions
- 06.04.2018Saudi Arabia to dig canal along Qatar border
- 06.04.2018Israeli troops kill seven Palestinians on day of heightened Gaza border protests: medics
- 06.04.2018Iraqi security forces kill 3 Daesh terrorists in Diyala
- 06.04.2018Singapore police arrest flight passenger for bomb hoax
- 06.04.2018Iranian defense minister disbelieves Trump’s rhetoric on withdrawal from Syria
- 05.04.2018Turkey, Iran, Russia say will work for stability in Syria
- 10.06.2017Turkey's FM: Qatar row should be solved peacefully
- 11.06.2017Qatar says no expulsions of nationals from countries that cut ties
- 12.06.2017Bahram Ghasemi: We advise US gov’t not to go the wrong way
- 10.06.2017Iran signs final deal for 30 Boeing 737s
- 09.06.2017Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE and Bahrain blacklist entities associated with Qatar
- 09.06.2017Blast in Karbala leaves 20 people dead