US-led coalition bombs pro-Syrian gov't forces near al-Tanf for 3rd time
The US-led coalition has attacked pro-Syrian government forces and shot a drone near the Syrian town of al-Tanf in southern Syria for the third time, the coalition spokesman said, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
On May 18, the US-led coalition struck pro-Assad fighters near the town of al-Tanf in the area of an established deconfliction zone with Russia. The coalition strikes occurred near al-Tanf, where US' and British special operations forces have been training Syrian rebel fighters near the border with Iraq and Jordan. Russia slammed the move as a violation of international law.
On June 6, the Pentagon announced the coalition conducted a new strike on pro-Syrian government forces as they entered the de-confliction zone with Russia and posed threat to its personnel. The force comprised of a tank, artillery, anti-aircraft weapons, armed technical vehicles and more than 60 soldiers. A Syrian source told Sputnik on Tuesday that at least two Syrian servicemen were killed and more than 15 injured as a result of the coalition attack.
On June 8, the coalition said that a pro-Syrian government drone was allegedly used in an attempted attack on the coalition forces to the east from the deconfliction zone. The spokesman said that the alleged drone's attack didn't lead to any coalition casualties, though.
The coalition's strikes targeted pick-up trucks with weapons and the drone, the spokesman, US Army Colonel Ryan Dillon, specified.
"In southern Syria, this morning the United States conducted strikes against two technical vehicles, pickup trucks with weapons that were assessed to be posing a threat to coalition and partnered forces based at At Tanf [al-Tanf] garrison," Dillon stated.
The coalition spokesman alleged that the combat drone reminding MQ-1 firing on the US-led coalition forces has been the first time pro-Damascus forces "attacked" the coalition near the deconfliction zone.
The United States and Russia signed the bilateral memorandum of understanding in October 2015 to ensure their flight safety during combat missions over Syria.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Three Iranian police killed in clashes with Sufi protesters
- 19.02.2018Islamic State kills 27 Iraqi militiamen near Kirkuk
- 19.02.2018Israel, Egypt sign $15bn natural gas purchase agreement
- 19.02.2018Kurdish region flight ban to be lifted soon: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 09.02.20188 killed, 3 missing in south China road collapse
- 09.02.2018Islamic State begins to earn money through online casinos
- 08.02.2018Airstrikes kill 54 civilians in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta
- 08.02.2018Erdogan, Rouhani hail increased cooperation on security - UPDATED
- 08.06.2017Qatar vows 'no surrender' in row with Arab states
- 08.06.2017Saudi foreign minister holds talks in Oman amid regional dispute
- 09.06.2017Arab states issue Qatar 'terror list'
- 08.06.2017Iran identifies terrorists involved in Tehran attacks
- 08.06.2017Iran declines to confirm Saudi hand in Tehran terror attacks
- 08.06.2017Tehran attacks death toll up to 17