US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in Amman to discuss the “strategic partnership” between their two countries and the latest regional developments, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“The two sides discussed the ongoing crises in the Middle East region -- including the crisis in Syria -- and stressed the importance of resolving them politically,” a statement released by Jordan’s royal court read.
The two men also reportedly underlined the need to take a “holistic approach” to the regional fight against terrorism.
According to the statement, King Abdullah urged Tillerson to step up efforts to resume the Palestine-Israel peace process “based on a two-state solution that includes an independent state of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital”.
Tillerson, for his part, voiced Washington’s appreciation for the Jordanian role in helping to stabilize the region and taking in numerous Syrian refugees.
Earlier Wednesday, Tillerson and his Jordanian counterpart, Ayman Safadi, signed an agreement by which Washington will provide Jordan with $1.275 billion in annual aid over the next five years.
The aid will ostensibly go towards promoting King Abdullah’s reform agenda and offsetting the negative effects of the refugee influx.
Tillerson arrived in Amman late Tuesday as part of a wider Middle East tour that has already taken him to Egypt and Kuwait.
Following his departure from Jordan, the U.S. secretary of state is scheduled to visit both Lebanon and Turkey.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Daesh doesn’t represent Islam: Iraqi PM
- 18.02.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred, one injured in operations
- 17.02.2018Turkish, Iraqi PMs stress cooperation against terrorism
- 17.02.20184 Israeli troops injured by explosive device near Gaza
- 17.02.2018Turkish PM: 'We have given terrorist organizations the Ottoman slap'
- 16.02.2018PYD/PKK terrorist admits to posing as civilian
- 14.02.2018Turkey's president speaks to Saudi counterpart
- 14.02.2018Taliban confirms senior leader killed by US air strike
- 14.02.2018İraqi Turkmen Front officer attacked in Kirkuk
- 13.02.2018Cyclone wreaks havoc in Tonga's capital, parliament flattened, homes wrecked
- 13.02.2018Russians killed in clash with U.S.-led forces in Syria, say associates
- 12.02.2018Israel's Netanyahu says discussing settlement annexation with U.S.
- 11.02.2018Netanyahu speaks to Russia’s Putin about Iran
- 11.02.2018Putin Urges Netanyahu to Avoid Escalation in Syria
- 10.02.201811 Turkish soldiers killed, 11 injured in Afrin - UPDATED
- 10.02.2018Hundreds protesting in Seoul against N. Korea's participation in Olympic
- 10.02.201815 PYD/PKK, Daesh terrorists neutralized in Afrin
- 10.02.2018Hong Kong bus overturns killing 18
- 10.02.201848 Daesh-linked suspects arrested across Turkey
- 10.02.201827 reported dead in bus crash in Indonesia
- 10.02.20182 Turkish pilots martyred in Syria helicopter crash
- 10.02.2018Turkish military, Free Syrian Army free another village
- 10.02.2018North Korea's Kim Jong-un invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
- 10.02.2018South Korea's Moon hosts talks with North Korean leader's sister
- 10.02.2018Pence avoids Olympics encounter with North Korean official as Korean athletes march together
- 09.02.20188 killed, 3 missing in south China road collapse
- 09.02.2018Islamic State begins to earn money through online casinos
- 08.02.2018Airstrikes kill 54 civilians in Syria’s Eastern Ghouta
- 08.02.2018Erdogan, Rouhani hail increased cooperation on security - UPDATED
- 08.02.2018Turkish, Iranian presidents have telephone conversation
- 08.02.2018Turkish, Iranian, Russian leaders to meet in Istanbul for Syria
- 08.02.2018North Korea says no plans to meet U.S. officials at Olympics
- 08.02.2018Aftershocks rattle Taiwan as quake toll rises to nine, 62 missing
- 08.02.2018Turkey captures PYD/PKK tunnel network in NW Syria
- 07.02.20182 killed, 188 injured in Taiwan earthquake - UPDATED
- 06.02.2018Russian trade representative building bombed in Damascus
- 06.02.2018Strong Taiwan quake topples buildings
- 06.02.2018Turkey makes PYD/PKK's 4-km ditch in Syria unusable
- 06.02.20182018 Winter Olympics: Drinking water from Pyeongchang Olympic area infected with virus
- 06.02.2018China says carries out another anti-missile test
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey