US secretary of state meets with Jordan king in Amman
Jordanian King Abdullah II on Wednesday met with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson in Amman to discuss the “strategic partnership” between their two countries and the latest regional developments, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“The two sides discussed the ongoing crises in the Middle East region -- including the crisis in Syria -- and stressed the importance of resolving them politically,” a statement released by Jordan’s royal court read.
The two men also reportedly underlined the need to take a “holistic approach” to the regional fight against terrorism.
According to the statement, King Abdullah urged Tillerson to step up efforts to resume the Palestine-Israel peace process “based on a two-state solution that includes an independent state of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital”.
Tillerson, for his part, voiced Washington’s appreciation for the Jordanian role in helping to stabilize the region and taking in numerous Syrian refugees.
Earlier Wednesday, Tillerson and his Jordanian counterpart, Ayman Safadi, signed an agreement by which Washington will provide Jordan with $1.275 billion in annual aid over the next five years.
The aid will ostensibly go towards promoting King Abdullah’s reform agenda and offsetting the negative effects of the refugee influx.
Tillerson arrived in Amman late Tuesday as part of a wider Middle East tour that has already taken him to Egypt and Kuwait.
Following his departure from Jordan, the U.S. secretary of state is scheduled to visit both Lebanon and Turkey.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2018IAEA report confirms Iran's commitment to nuclear agreement
- 25.05.2018North Korea says it's still willing to meet with Trump
- 25.05.2018Over 185 undocumented migrants held in western Turkey
- 24.05.2018Syrian state media says U.S. struck army base, U.S. denies
- 24.05.2018At least four killed, 15 wounded in Baghdad bomb blast
- 24.05.2018N Korean FM: Trump-Kim Summit Depends on 'US Behavior
- 24.05.2018Iran leader blasts U.S. for 'theatrical' pullout from nuclear deal
- 23.05.2018Iran's Zarif calls Pompeo's comments 'untrue', based on 'old illusions': state TV
- 23.05.2018Israeli air strikes target boat moored in Gaza
- 23.05.2018North Korea allows South Korea reporters to visit nuclear site
- 23.05.2018Saudi Arabia expands crackdown on women's rights activists
- 23.05.2018Iraqi PM rules out fresh polls amid rigging allegations
- 22.05.2018Iran ‘ready to return to pre-nuke deal era’: Official
- 22.05.2018Airstrike neutralizes 6 PKK terrorists in E. Turkey
- 22.05.20182 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 22.05.2018Over 60 die of heatstroke in Pakistan's largest city
- 21.05.2018Palestine’s Abbas to leave hospital soon: PLO official
- 21.05.2018Vietnam says Chinese bombers in disputed South China Sea increase tensions
- 21.05.2018Iran's presence in Syria at Damascus' demand: Tehran
- 20.05.2018South Korea's LG Group chairman dies at 73
- 20.05.2018Mushrooms Poison Hundreds in Iran
- 19.05.2018China to increase purchase of US goods to support employment in US - White House - UPDATED
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan cricket match kill eight spectators
- 19.05.2018Blasts at Afghan sports stadium kill as many as eight-officials
- 19.05.2018Two North Koreans including a soldier defect to South Korea
- 18.05.2018Iran calls on Muslims to revise trade ties with U.S. after Jerusalem move
- 18.05.2018Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia to discuss oil supplies following US withdrawal from JCPOA
- 18.05.2018Russia, Syria can start work to rebuild Syrian economy, says Putin
- 17.05.20185 suspected bombers killed in southwest Pakistan
- 16.05.2018Israel summons Turkey's charge d'affaires
- 16.05.2018Israel says Hamas curbed Gaza protests after Egyptian warning
- 16.05.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Gulf states should influence Trump in Palestinian issue
- 16.05.2018DPRK says not interested in negotiations that require only denuclearization - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Seven dead, 30 feared trapped after part of flyover collapses in Indian city
- 16.05.2018Seoul regrets Pyongyang's decision to suspend high level inter-Korean talks
- 15.05.2018Iran wants guarantees from EU that JCPOA would be beneficial for It - Zarif
- 15.05.2018Israel asks Turkish envoy in Palestine to leave country
- 15.05.2018N Korea suspends talks with South over their joint drills with US
- 15.05.2018Palestinian leader Abbas hospitalized for surgery
- 15.05.2018Palestinian Death Toll in Gaza Rises to 59 - UPDATED
- 15.02.2018Lebanese PM rule out Hezbollah alliance in May election
- 15.02.2018Indonesia charges Daesh-linked group for deadly bombing
- 16.02.20187 Turkish soldiers injured in Operation Olive Branch
- 14.02.2018Knesset rejects bill recognizing so-called Armenian Genocide
- 14.02.2018No cases of human infection with H5N6 bird flu reported in Iran – official
- 14.02.2018Over 20 undocumented migrants held in Turkey