Johnson and Lavrov clash in Moscow talks
Boris Johnson and his Russian counterpart have clashed over the issues of Crimea and alleged Russian cyber attacks on the west, arguing publicly during the first visit of a UK foreign secretary to the country in over five years, APA reported citing ITV News.
The foreign secretary had noted before his trip to Moscow that relations between the UK and Russia "haven't been so bad for a very long time", and during the meeting and a press conference Johnson brought up the contentious issues.
Sergey Lavrov denied claims that Moscow had interfered in democratic elections online and accused Johnson of being a "hostage" of untrue Western narratives on the issue.
But Johnson insisted there was "abundant evidence" of Russian interference in polls in the US, Germany, Denmark and France.
And when the Russian foreign minister said that Johnson himself had confirmed Russia had not interfered in the UK's election and Brexit referendum, the Foreign Secretary interrupted to add: "Not successfully."
Lavrov accused Johnson of making the accusation up and "taking it out of thin air".
During the meeting Lavrov agreed "it's no secret relations are not good", adding: "You prefer to talk about our differences publicly, we prefer to do it face to face."
- 16.02.2018Russian toll in Syria battle was 300 killed and wounded: sources
- 16.02.2018Truck with 2,500 loaves of bread hijacked in Russia
- 15.02.2018New US sanctions pose no serious threat to Russian economy, russians - Medvedev
- 15.02.2018Reports of scores of Russians killed in Syria are disinformation by anti-govt forces - Moscow
- 14.02.2018Presidents of Russia and Ukraine hold a telephone conversation
- 13.02.2018Lavrov says ‘aggressive minority’ in West impedes establishment of relations with Russia
- 09.02.2018Former governor of Sakhalin region Khoroshavin sentenced to 13 years in jail for bribery
- 07.02.2018Russia favors making UN Security Council more efficient
- 06.02.2018Russian, Kazakh FMs discuss preparations for Caspian Summit
- 06.02.2018Russian Central Election Commission registers Putin as presidential candidate
- 04.02.2018Russian Defense Ministry Releases Video of Su-25 Downing Over Syria - VİDEO
- 04.02.2018Russian weapons deliver strikes on area from which Su-25 was shot down , 30 militants killed
- 03.02.2018Russia’s Foreign Ministry notes anti-Russian focus of US nuclear doctrine
- 02.02.2018Russian CEC chairwoman disapproves of Kremlin spokesman’s statement
- 02.02.2018Armenia: 10-year-old girl kidnapped for debts
- 02.02.2018Russia says U.S. 'hunting' for Russians to arrest around the world
- 01.02.2018UN envoy for Syria highlights role of Sochi congress for Geneva process, says Lavrov
- 01.02.2018Law enforcement officer receives stab wounds in Yerevan
- 01.02.2018Meeting between Russian, Italian FMs kicks off in Moscow
- 31.01.2018Sergei Lavrov: "Sochi Congress Agrees a Constitutional Committee"
- 31.01.2018Group of Five plan for Syria runs counter to Geneva process — Lavrov
- 30.01.2018US ‘Kremlin List’ means nothing to Russia — PM
- 30.01.2018Putin says he feels 'sad' about not being included in US 'Kremlin report’
- 29.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijanis in the Japanese Sea suspended
- 27.01.2018Russia says new U.S. sanctions are destructive step, will retaliate: RIA
- 26.01.201815 people die from hypothermia in Bishkek in January
- 25.01.2018Zakharova says Turkey is a difficult partner
- 25.01.2018Zakharova: ‘Any country’s destructive intervention in election campaign in Russia will be dealt with harshly’
- 25.01.2018Search operation for missing Russian fishing boat in Sea of Japan
- 23.01.2018Ukraine calls for boycott of 2018 World Cup in Russia
- 22.01.2018Russia says U.S. actions in Syria either a provocation or ill-informed
- 21.01.2018Russia says US 'took provocative steps' by arming YPG in Syria
- 20.01.2018Russia, Iran, Turkey agree lists for Congress in Sochi - president’s representative
- 20.01.2018Russia concerned over Turkey's launch of military op in Syria's Afrin - MoD
- 20.01.2018Russian, US army chiefs discuss Syria by phone
- 19.01.2018U.S. funding hold will hurt U.N. effort to help Palestinian refugees: Russia's Lavrov
- 19.01.2018Yelk bloc holds protest action against price hike in Armenia
- 19.01.2018Police raid Makhachkala mayor’s house and office
- 19.01.2018Russia not going to join Treaty on Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons — Lavrov
- 18.01.2018Ukrainian parliament adopts law on Donbas reintegration
- 23.12.2017Everything preventing Russia’s renovation should be left out – Putin
- 23.12.2017Russia ready to work with all countries on basis of trust - Putin
- 23.12.2017Putin says Russia is not "adorable grandma"
- 22.12.2017Russian CEC approves Zhirinovsky’s presidential candidacy
- 21.12.2017Turkey, Russia to sign deal on S-400 in coming days
- 20.12.2017Brawl erupts in Armenian parliament