FSB exposes IS cell plotting terrorist attacks in Russia
Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) has exposed a cell of the Islamic State terror group (outlawed in Russia), whose members were planning to carry out terrorist attacks in the Rostov region upon orders from Syrian emissaries, the FSB press service said, APA reported citing TASS.
The cell’s leader detonated an explosive device and died while being detained, but another three perpetrators were apprehended.
"The Federal Security Service has exposed a clandestine cell of the Islamic State international terrorist organization (outlawed in Russia), whose members were following orders by IS emissaries based in Syria, planning to use firearms and improvised explosive devices to carry out high-impact terrorist attacks in the Rostov region," the FSB said.
According to the FSB, the operation to detain the cell’s members also involved police officers. Firearms, a homemade explosive device and munitions were seized from the three detained members of the IS cell, as well as means of communication and electronic data storage devices containing terrorist propaganda materials. "During the operation, the cell’s leader put up armed resistance, detonated an identified improvised explosive device and suffered fatal wounds," the FSB added.
An Ak-74 rifle, hand grenades and instructions for making explosive devices were also found
Related news releases
- 19.04.2018Journalist gets beaten during mass protest in Armenia
- 16.04.2018Armenians protest Sargsyan's appointment as PM
- 15.04.2018Kazakhstan warns of further military de-escalation in Syria
- 14.04.2018Opposition-led protesters break into building of Armenian public radio
- 14.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan nominated for Armenia’s PM
- 14.04.2018Syrian downs 71 out of 103 US coalition cruise missiles: Russian military
- 14.04.2018Putin: Operation launched by US and allies is aggression against sovereign state
- 14.04.2018Russian Defence Ministry: Over 100 missiles fired at Syria
- 14.04.2018Russian Foreign Ministry: "You shelled Syria's capital at the moment when it had gained a chance of a peaceful future"
- 13.04.2018Three wounded in landmine explosion in Armenia
- 13.04.2018Russia calls for emergency UN Security Council meeting
- 12.04.2018Russia asks US to solve problems at 'negotiating table'
- 12.04.2018Russia resumes flights to Egypt
- 11.04.2018Putin expects common sense to prevail amid global tensions
- 11.04.2018Putin's inauguration scheduled for 7 May
- 11.04.2018Moscow to Trump: Are ‘smart’ missiles an attempt to destroy alleged chem attack evidence in Syria?
- 11.04.2018Helicopter Crashes in Russian City of Khabarovsk
- 09.04.2018Russia’s Lavrov calls on Turkey to return Afrin to Damascus control
- 09.04.2018Kazakh TV presenter dies as her leg gets stuck in elevator door
- 09.04.2018Presidential inauguration held in Armenia
- 08.04.2018Russian Aerospace Forces to get three S-400 regimental sets this year — Defense Ministry
- 06.04.2018Russia appoints new ambassador to Armenia
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani President: "Our personal relations with Vladimir Putin are one of the major factors for successful bilateral relations"
- 04.04.2018Russian foreign intelligence chief says Washington’s system of vassalage has failed
- 04.04.2018Patrushev: Some countries claim to act as global prosecutors and judges all in one
- 03.04.2018NATO will not issue visa to new Russian diplomats
- 03.04.2018Russian CEC head presents presidential certificate to Putin
- 02.04.2018Moscow to accelerate delivery of S-400 system to Turkey
- 02.04.2018Russia’s Caspian Flotilla to relocate headquarter to Dagestan
- 29.03.2018Russian Aerospace force launches Soyuz-2.1V rocket
- 29.03.2018Russia to close US consulate in St. Petersburg, expel 60 diplomats – Lavrov
- 29.03.2018Crime kingpin nicknamed “Shakro Molodoy” jailed for nearly 10 years
- 27.03.2018Forty-one children reported killed in Kemerovo shopping center blaze
- 27.03.2018Russian Health Minister: 25 victims of Kemerovo mall fire identified
- 26.03.2018At least 53 dead in Siberian shopping mall fire
- 25.03.2018EU recalls ambassador from Moscow as required sign of its solidarity with UK - Kremlin
- 24.03.2018Militant killed in counterterrorism operation in Dagestan aligned with IS
- 24.03.2018Ukraine signs deal with France to buy 55 Airbus helicopters
- 23.03.2018Ukraine's Savchenko goes on hunger strike over detention
- 23.03.2018Results of Russian presidential election revealed
- 17.04.2018Serzh Sargsyan elected Armenia’s PM
- 17.04.2018The Armenian opposition announced the creation of a committee of "velvet revolution"
- 18.04.2018Opposition march toward Republic Square
- 16.04.2018Armenian opposition leader urges to block parliament building
- 16.04.201822 injured after demonstrators clash with police in Yerevan
- 16.04.2018Armenia’s Republican Party formally nominates Sargsyan’s candidacy as next PM