Brexit negotiations to start on June 19
The official Brexit negotiations between the U.K. and the EU will start on Monday, according to a government statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The announcement comes after the Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister Theresa May lost the parliament majority in a snap election last week after aiming for a bigger majority and a stronger mandate before the historic talks with the bloc.
The British public had opted to leave the EU in a referendum a year ago, ending the country’s 44-year-long membership with the bloc.
“Following discussions in Brussels today, both sides agreed that the formal negotiations under the Article 50 process can now start,” the statement said.
“Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s Chief Negotiator and David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, agreed today to launch Article 50 negotiations on Monday June 19,” the statement added.
The Queen’s Speech, a formal ceremony during which the queen reads out the government’s plans for the new legislation term, will be held Wednesday.
The new U.K. government is yet to take a final shape despite announcement of new Cabinet members as a final deal with the Northern Irish Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) gets worked out.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017Terror threat in Europe remains serious: Hungarian FM
- 22.08.2017Latvian Cabinet backs bill banning face veils in public places
- 22.08.2017Seven generals and admirals request retirement in Turkey
- 22.08.2017Turkish FM Cavusoglu to visit Iraq on Wednesday
- 22.08.2017Quake hits Italian island, one dead, 25 injured
- 21.08.2017Turkish forces kill 6 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq, Turkey
- 21.08.2017Serbia pulls diplomats from Macedonia
- 21.08.2017Spanish police arrest main Barcelona attack suspect
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 16.06.2017Erdogan slams US move to issue warrants for bodyguards
- 16.06.2017Eurozone ministers strike deal to release funds to Greece
- 16.06.2017Turkey summons US ambassador over arrest warrants
- 15.06.2017German executive at Volkswagen Japan arrested for suspected drug use
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey