Brexit negotiations to start on June 19
The official Brexit negotiations between the U.K. and the EU will start on Monday, according to a government statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The announcement comes after the Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister Theresa May lost the parliament majority in a snap election last week after aiming for a bigger majority and a stronger mandate before the historic talks with the bloc.
The British public had opted to leave the EU in a referendum a year ago, ending the country’s 44-year-long membership with the bloc.
“Following discussions in Brussels today, both sides agreed that the formal negotiations under the Article 50 process can now start,” the statement said.
“Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s Chief Negotiator and David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, agreed today to launch Article 50 negotiations on Monday June 19,” the statement added.
The Queen’s Speech, a formal ceremony during which the queen reads out the government’s plans for the new legislation term, will be held Wednesday.
The new U.K. government is yet to take a final shape despite announcement of new Cabinet members as a final deal with the Northern Irish Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) gets worked out.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Al Qaeda releases Swedish hostage after almost six years
- 27.06.2017Italian police use tear gas against migrants at border with France
- 26.06.2017Turkish soldier martyred in mortar attack from N. Iraq
- 25.06.2017UK to maintain duty-free access for developing countries after Brexit
- 25.06.2017UK Parliament hit by cyber-attack
- 25.06.2017Two hundred migrants rescued off Spanish coast
- 24.06.2017London tower blocks evacuated as 27 buildings fail fire tests
- 24.06.20178 Emirati princesses sentenced for mistreating servants
- 24.06.20173 Turkish soldiers wounded in counter-terror operation
- 24.06.2017Five London high-rises evacuated over fire safety fears
- 24.06.2017EU leaders summit ends in Brussels
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey operation
- 23.06.2017Five electrocuted in swimming pool in Turkey
- 23.06.2017EU will restrict visas for states not taking back migrants
- 23.06.2017Theresa May vows 'settled' status for EU expats in post-Brexit UK
- 22.06.2017European Union is to extend sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 22.06.2017French central banker backs European Commission proposals on clearing
- 22.06.20176 suspects remanded in Turkish army food poisoning
- 22.06.2017France's Macron taps newcomers for reshuffle as conservatives split
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: Turkey wants all countries to enjoy friendly relations
- 21.06.2017Turkey spends $5 billion on refugees every year – gov’t official
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: No country provided serious assistance to Turkey during refugee crisis
- 21.06.2017UK PM May says will consult widely on Brexit, but Britain will leave EU
- 21.06.2017UK charges man arrested in East London with terror offenses
- 21.06.2017Man shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims
- 20.06.2017Canadair plane crashes in Portugal, no information yet about casualties
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 19.06.2017Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 17.06.2017Swiss prosecution conducts 25 FIFA corruption probes
- 16.06.2017Erdogan slams US move to issue warrants for bodyguards
- 16.06.2017Eurozone ministers strike deal to release funds to Greece
- 16.06.2017Turkey summons US ambassador over arrest warrants
- 15.06.2017German executive at Volkswagen Japan arrested for suspected drug use
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey