Brexit negotiations to start on June 19
The official Brexit negotiations between the U.K. and the EU will start on Monday, according to a government statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The announcement comes after the Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister Theresa May lost the parliament majority in a snap election last week after aiming for a bigger majority and a stronger mandate before the historic talks with the bloc.
The British public had opted to leave the EU in a referendum a year ago, ending the country’s 44-year-long membership with the bloc.
“Following discussions in Brussels today, both sides agreed that the formal negotiations under the Article 50 process can now start,” the statement said.
“Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s Chief Negotiator and David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, agreed today to launch Article 50 negotiations on Monday June 19,” the statement added.
The Queen’s Speech, a formal ceremony during which the queen reads out the government’s plans for the new legislation term, will be held Wednesday.
The new U.K. government is yet to take a final shape despite announcement of new Cabinet members as a final deal with the Northern Irish Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) gets worked out.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017Turkish, Russian presidents meet in Ankara
- 11.12.2017Storms, snow hit northern Europe
- 11.12.2017Armenian citizens detained in Georgia
- 10.12.2017UK Foreign Secretary confirms commitment to implementation of Iran nuclear deal
- 10.12.2017Akkuyu nuclear power plant project to be launched today
- 08.12.2017Turkish security forces kill 20 PKK terrorists in week
- 08.12.2017Poroshenko: Situation around Saakashvili not worth international attention
- 08.12.2017Russia ready to promote N. Korea-US dialogue on Pyongyang’s security guarantees - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017Polish PM resigns after two years in office
- 08.12.2017Lavrov and Tillerson reiterate importance of further contacts on Afghanistan
- 07.12.2017Russian and Ukrainian top diplomats begin meeting in Vienna
- 07.12.2017Turkish president talks to Russian counterpart about US recognition of Jerusalem as Israeli capital
- 07.12.2017Negative past between Turkey, Greece is history now
- 07.12.2017Thousands across Turkey protest Trump’s Jerusalem move
- 07.12.2017Greek police fire teargas at protesters on anniversary of riots
- 07.12.2017Turkey condemns 'unacceptable' US decision on Jerusalem
- 06.12.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers ended in Vienna - UPDATED
- 06.12.2017Germany drops spying investigation into Turkish imams
- 06.12.2017Fire erupts at Georgian hydroelectric power station
- 06.12.2017US’ Jerusalem move may trigger new clashes in region: Erdogan
- 06.12.2017Georgia detains man for attempting to smuggle 129 pneumatic pistols from Turkey
- 06.12.2017Belgium drops Puigdemont extradition case
- 06.12.2017At least 50 are feared wounded after passenger, freight trains collide in Germany - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Turkey, German bank sign deal for training for Syrians
- 05.12.2017Turkish courts convict 10 over FETO links
- 05.12.2017Ukrainian interior minister calls on Saakashvili to abide by law
- 05.12.2017Saakashvili supporters free him from police van after detention in Kiev
- 05.12.2017Erdogan warns to cut ties with Israel if Jerusalem recognized as Israeli capital
- 05.12.2017EU sometimes has hard time contacting US: Official
- 05.12.2017Turkish jets destroy PKK targets in northern Iraq
- 05.12.2017Jordan’s King Abdullah II to visit Turkey on Wednesday
- 04.12.2017No deal in Brexit talks yet, says EU
- 03.12.2017Turkish FM: "Gülen movement has infiltrated U.S. Congress"
- 03.12.2017France's Macron calls on Iraq to dismantle all militias
- 02.12.2017Police clear protesters as Germany's far-right AfD picks new leaders
- 02.12.2017Turkish police arrest 66 terror suspects
- 02.12.2017War crimes convict Praljak took cyanide, Dutch prosecutors say
- 01.12.2017Police conduct special op in Azerbaijani-populated settlement in Tbilisi
- 01.12.2017Car bomb exploded in the suburbs of Barcelona
- 01.12.2017Merkel and Erdogan hold first phone call in months
- 16.06.2017Erdogan slams US move to issue warrants for bodyguards
- 16.06.2017Eurozone ministers strike deal to release funds to Greece
- 16.06.2017Turkey summons US ambassador over arrest warrants
- 15.06.2017German executive at Volkswagen Japan arrested for suspected drug use
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey