Brexit negotiations to start on June 19
The official Brexit negotiations between the U.K. and the EU will start on Monday, according to a government statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The announcement comes after the Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister Theresa May lost the parliament majority in a snap election last week after aiming for a bigger majority and a stronger mandate before the historic talks with the bloc.
The British public had opted to leave the EU in a referendum a year ago, ending the country’s 44-year-long membership with the bloc.
“Following discussions in Brussels today, both sides agreed that the formal negotiations under the Article 50 process can now start,” the statement said.
“Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s Chief Negotiator and David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, agreed today to launch Article 50 negotiations on Monday June 19,” the statement added.
The Queen’s Speech, a formal ceremony during which the queen reads out the government’s plans for the new legislation term, will be held Wednesday.
The new U.K. government is yet to take a final shape despite announcement of new Cabinet members as a final deal with the Northern Irish Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) gets worked out.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 12.04.2018Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
- 16.06.2017Erdogan slams US move to issue warrants for bodyguards
- 16.06.2017Eurozone ministers strike deal to release funds to Greece
- 16.06.2017Turkey summons US ambassador over arrest warrants
- 15.06.2017German executive at Volkswagen Japan arrested for suspected drug use
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey