Brexit negotiations to start on June 19
The official Brexit negotiations between the U.K. and the EU will start on Monday, according to a government statement on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The announcement comes after the Conservative Party leader and Prime Minister Theresa May lost the parliament majority in a snap election last week after aiming for a bigger majority and a stronger mandate before the historic talks with the bloc.
The British public had opted to leave the EU in a referendum a year ago, ending the country’s 44-year-long membership with the bloc.
“Following discussions in Brussels today, both sides agreed that the formal negotiations under the Article 50 process can now start,” the statement said.
“Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s Chief Negotiator and David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, agreed today to launch Article 50 negotiations on Monday June 19,” the statement added.
The Queen’s Speech, a formal ceremony during which the queen reads out the government’s plans for the new legislation term, will be held Wednesday.
The new U.K. government is yet to take a final shape despite announcement of new Cabinet members as a final deal with the Northern Irish Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) gets worked out.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Sweden: Armed attack injures 4 in Malmo
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 09.06.2018Russia’s return to G7 requires implementation of Minsk Agreements — Merkel
- 09.06.2018Merkel says differences on trade remain despite joint G7 communique
- 09.06.2018Arab leaders to hold meeting with King Abdullah over Jordan crisis
- 09.06.2018Bomb kills one and wounds 14 in Iraq's Kirkuk
- 09.06.2018UK: Boris Johnson's Brexit remarks cause controversy
- 08.06.2018Three tourists die in Georgia rafting accident
- 08.06.2018Russian, US military leaders to meet in Helsinki
- 08.06.2018Vienna to host possible meeting between Putin and Trump
- 08.06.2018Erdogan hints at lifting state of emergency after polls
- 08.06.2018NATO, EU welcome Afghanistan’s ceasefire announcement
- 16.06.2017Erdogan slams US move to issue warrants for bodyguards
- 16.06.2017Eurozone ministers strike deal to release funds to Greece
- 16.06.2017Turkey summons US ambassador over arrest warrants
- 15.06.2017German executive at Volkswagen Japan arrested for suspected drug use
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey