Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
A driver deliberately rammed his car into a police van as it drove down Paris' Champs Elysees avenue and was probably killed, police said, adding that no officers or bystanders were injured and the situation was under control.
The Paris prosecutor's counter-terrorism unit said it had opened an investigation into the incident, which occurred only a short walk away from the Elysees presidential palace and the U.S. embassy.
The car hit the front of the police van as it was overtaking it and caught fire, a police spokeswoman told reporters.
"It appears to have been a deliberate act on the part of the individual," said Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet.
Brandet told reporters the driver, who was armed, was "most likely dead", adding that it was difficult to say for sure while the area where he was lying was being checked for explosives.
A report on France's BFM TV said the man was known to security services and had been carrying a gas bottle in the car.
France has been on high security alert following a series of militant Islamist attacks in recent years, including the shooting of a policeman in an Islamic State-claimed attack on a police bus on the Champs Elysees in April.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation