Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
Deadly storm Friederike calmed on Friday after claiming at least eight lives, the German Press Agency (DPA) reported.
Storm Friederike, which swept across Germany from the west on Thursday, is the heaviest storm in the country since 2007, according to the German Weather Service (DWD).
With maximum gale gusts of 203 km per hour in mountainous areas, the storm brought powerful winds, heavy rains and even snowfall to parts of Germany on Thursday, causing at least eight fatalities and many injuries.
A 59-year-old man was killed by a falling tree near Emmerich, and a 68-year-old man in North Rhine-Westphalia lost control of his transporter in the strong winds and died.
In Thuringia, a firefighter was killed by a falling tree. A truck driver in Brandenburg died in a collision on an expressway caused by strong winds, and a member of the fire department died in a storm in Sundern.
Apart from the six deaths, two men from Saxony-Anhalt also fell victim to the powerful storm, the latest update by the DPA shows.
After the cancellation of all long-distance trains on Thursday due to safety reasons, German national railroad company Deutsche Bahn resumed operations of most local and long-distance trains Friday morning. However, travelers and commuters still have to adjust to train traffic restrictions.
At many stations, people stood in long lines in front of the information stands.
German Federal Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere thanked the emergency services via Twitter and expressed his sympathy to the relatives of the victims.
At midnight, the DWD lifted the last severe weather warnings and forecast rain and heavy snowfall in the Alps for Friday.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe