Elderly woman found dead in snow as cold front sweeps Greece
An elderly woman was found dead in snow on Saturday, and an aground freighter was rescued in the Agean Sea, as a cold front sweeps across Greece, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The 80-year-old victim went missing on Friday. Her body was found near her home in northern Peloponnese peninsula, southern Greece, according to local authorities.
Meanwhile, the 12-member crew of the freighter which ran aground off Mykonos island in the Aegean sea was rescued.
The Panama-flagged freighter LITTLE SEYMA, with nine Ukrainians and three Azeris on board, was transferring 2,700 tons of flour from Russia to Cyprus, when it ran aground. The mariners have been safely transferred to Mykonos, the Coast Guard said.
With wind velocity reaching up to eight on the Beaufort scale since Friday, many ferryboats have remained docked at ports across Greece.
Temperatures throughout the country have lowered to between zero and 10 degrees Celsius. The low temperatures along with intense snowfall and heavy rainfall have worsened the traffic conditions, which have been already strained during a peak time for the Christmas holidays.
Civil protection authorities have cautioned motorists in press announcements to put snow chains on their vehicles, as meteorologists forecast more ice on roads in the coming days and a probable White Christmas.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 24.12.2017Former prime minister Yatsenyuk detained at Geneva airport
- 24.12.2017Chancellor of Austria: Turkey has no place in the European Union
- 24.12.2017NATO chief warns of Russian submarine capability
- 24.12.2017Over 20 migrants held in northwestern Turkey
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani ambassador congratulates Georgia’s patriarch
- 23.12.2017Germany, France call for acceleration of fulfillment of Minsk agreements