Georgia PM won’t run for president
“It is ruled out that I will be nominated to run for president,” Georgian Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili told state television, APA's local bureau reported.
He said that the ruling party has not yet decided on a candidate for presidency.
"This issue is at the level of preliminary talks".
Kvirikashvili said that the government is implementing a program that will ensure positive dynamics in the country.
"To successfully complete this program, full consolidation and significant results should be achieved in the work that is underway. In that case, consideration of my candidacy is inappropriate and uninteresting to me,” he said.
It should be noted that Georgian media reported that the Georgian Dream Party nominated Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili and Labor, Health, and Social Affairs Minister David Sergeyenko could be nominated to run for president.
Sergeyenko also said that his nomination for the post of head of state was not being discussed.
The presidential election in Georgia will be held in the October of this year.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Putin, Macron discuss US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal
- 24.05.2018Britain disappointed after Trump cancels North Korea summit: UK PM May
- 24.05.2018Turkey slams French magazine slandering Erdogan
- 24.05.2018Train derailment in northern Italy kills 2, over a dozen Injured
- 23.05.2018Turkey has means to curtail currency shifts: President
- 23.05.2018Yulia Skripal - Attempted assassination turned my world upside down
- 22.05.2018UK calls refusal from Iran nuclear deal catastrophe
- 22.05.2018UK Foreign Secretary remarks effectiveness of US Sanctions against Russia
- 22.05.2018German foreign minister says to meet with Pompeo over Iran deal
- 22.05.2018Pentagon warns of taking necessary steps against Iran
- 22.05.2018Erdogan: Turkey to not give up on Jerusalem
- 21.05.2018PKK terrorists on wanted list killed in eastern Turkey
- 20.05.2018EU, Iran agree on holding high-level seminar on nuclear cooperation in November
- 19.05.2018EU Commission says lenders reach deal with Greece on reforms
- 19.05.2018Marseille train station evacuated after detention of suspicious man
- 19.05.2018Threats against Erdogan not new, says Turkish deputy PM
- 19.05.20185 terrorists neutralized in eastern Turkey
- 19.05.2018Berlusconi says ready to become new Italian head of government
- 19.05.2018Turkey's Erdogan says to raise Gaza violence at U.N. General Assembly
- 18.05.2018Sergei Skripal discharged from Salisbury District Hospital
- 18.05.2018Turkey prosecutors ask parliament to lift immunity of lawmaker Garo Paylan
- 17.05.2018NATO Military Committee meeting ends in Brussels
- 17.05.2018Egypt's Sisi says U.S. Embassy move to Jerusalem causes instability
- 16.05.2018Brussels, Tehran aim to preserve Iran nuclear Deal
- 15.05.2018Scottish parliament votes against giving consent to UK's EU withdrawal bill
- 15.05.2018France's Macron tells Netanyahu Palestinians have right to protest peacefully
- 15.05.2018Turkey declares 3 days of mourning over Gaza violence
- 14.05.2018Azerbaijani-medium school restored in Georgia
- 13.05.2018About 5,000 people gather in Bucharest for anti-government rally
- 13.05.2018Macron firm after Paris stabbing claimed by IS
- 13.05.2018Albanian ex-minister to face drug trafficking charges
- 13.05.2018Paris Stabbing Attack Leaves 2 Persons Dead, 8 Injured - UPDATED
- 12.05.2018Protests in Georgia after police raid Tbilisi nightclubs Bassiani and Café Gallery
- 12.05.2018Aircraft crash in Spain's Catalonia leaves 3 people killed
- 12.05.2018Turkish minister warns EU over post-Brexit UK role
- 12.05.2018Police raid night clubs in Tbilisi, arrest 8 people for drug trafficking
- 12.05.2018White House urges 'responsible nations' to press Iran to change behavior
- 12.05.2018UK's May and Trump agree talks needed over Iranian sanctions
- 11.05.2018Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout
- 11.05.2018Turkish president to visit UK on May 13
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger