London fire: Six confirmed dead as Grenfell Tower engulfed - UPDATED-2
Six people have been confirmed dead after a huge fire raged through the night at a west London tower block, and police expect that number to rise, APA reported citing BBC.
Eyewitnesses described people trapped in the burning Grenfell Tower, in north Kensington, screaming for help and yelling for their children to be saved.
Firefighters rescued "large numbers", but London Mayor Sadiq Khan said "a lot" of people were unaccounted for.
The 24-storey block, which is still on fire, looks at risk of collapsing.
During the night, eyewitnesses said they saw lights - thought to be mobile phones or torches - flashing at the top of the block of flats, and trapped residents coming to their windows - some holding children.
It is understood that "several hundred" people would have been in the block when the fire broke out shortly after midnight, most of them sleeping.
Commander Stuart Cundy, of the Metropolitan Police said: "I can confirm six fatalities at this time but this figure is likely to rise during what will be a complex recovery operation over a number of days."
He said it was likely to be some time before police could identify the victims, adding that it was too early to speculate on the cause of the fire.
More than 50 people are being treated in hospital, London Ambulance Service says.
By mid-morning, the building looked to be just smoking ruins but the fire has again taken hold, and cladding is falling to the ground.
A number of people have been killed in a huge fire at a 27-storey tower block in west London, the fire service has announced, APA reported citing The Independent.
More than 50 people are being treated in five hospitals across the capital, London Ambulance Service said, as 200 firefighters battle the flames that have engulfed Grenfell Tower in Kensington.
Families 'begged for their lives' as they tried to escape a huge inferno at a residential tower block in West London, with fears that people are still trapped inside with the 27-storey building as it teeters on the brink of collapse.
Trapped residents scream for help and hurl themselves from windows, as the huge inferno leaves at least one feared dead, APA reported citing Mail Online.
More than 600 residents desperately tried to escape the flames as the fire broke out in the middle of the night, with many woken by the screams of others and the smell of burning plastic.
One neighbour said he believed someone had jumped from about 10 to 15 floors to escape the fire, while there were screams of joy and a relief as a five-year-old girl was pulled from the flames by emergency services.
London Ambulance Service said 30 people have been rushed to five hospitals around the capital, while at least one resident is still stuck inside the block on the 11th floor, with firefighters desperately trying to reach him.
The fire accident took place in Latimer Road’s Grenfell Tower located in White City district, APA reported citing The Telegraph.
More than 200 firefighters are tackling a massive blaze at a block of flats, with reports of people trapped in their homes.
Forty fire engines rushed to the 24-storey Grenfell Tower on the Lancaster West Estate, north Kensington, shortly after 1.15am.
At least 30 injured people were taken to hospital, as pictures from the scene showed flames engulfing most of the block.
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 12.04.2018Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
- 12.04.2018Macron claims to have proof of chemical weapons use by Syrian government
- 12.04.2018Salisbury attack: Chemical weapons watchdog confirms UK findings on nerve agent
- 12.04.2018Erdogan, Trump discuss Syria in phone call
- 11.04.2018Fighter jet accidentally bombs working factory in France
- 14.10.2015Two PKK members arrested over Ankara bomb tweets
- 15.10.2015Turkish PM: We lost 99 in Ankara blasts
- 15.10.201510 PKK terrorists killed in military operations in SE Turkey
- 14.10.2015Erdogan orders separate probe into Ankara bombing
- 14.10.2015Twitter cuts 8% of its workforce
- 13.10.2015MH17: Ukraine had reason to close airspace before crash, investigators say