London fire: Six confirmed dead as Grenfell Tower engulfed - UPDATED-2
Six people have been confirmed dead after a huge fire raged through the night at a west London tower block, and police expect that number to rise, APA reported citing BBC.
Eyewitnesses described people trapped in the burning Grenfell Tower, in north Kensington, screaming for help and yelling for their children to be saved.
Firefighters rescued "large numbers", but London Mayor Sadiq Khan said "a lot" of people were unaccounted for.
The 24-storey block, which is still on fire, looks at risk of collapsing.
During the night, eyewitnesses said they saw lights - thought to be mobile phones or torches - flashing at the top of the block of flats, and trapped residents coming to their windows - some holding children.
It is understood that "several hundred" people would have been in the block when the fire broke out shortly after midnight, most of them sleeping.
Commander Stuart Cundy, of the Metropolitan Police said: "I can confirm six fatalities at this time but this figure is likely to rise during what will be a complex recovery operation over a number of days."
He said it was likely to be some time before police could identify the victims, adding that it was too early to speculate on the cause of the fire.
More than 50 people are being treated in hospital, London Ambulance Service says.
By mid-morning, the building looked to be just smoking ruins but the fire has again taken hold, and cladding is falling to the ground.
A number of people have been killed in a huge fire at a 27-storey tower block in west London, the fire service has announced, APA reported citing The Independent.
More than 50 people are being treated in five hospitals across the capital, London Ambulance Service said, as 200 firefighters battle the flames that have engulfed Grenfell Tower in Kensington.
Families 'begged for their lives' as they tried to escape a huge inferno at a residential tower block in West London, with fears that people are still trapped inside with the 27-storey building as it teeters on the brink of collapse.
Trapped residents scream for help and hurl themselves from windows, as the huge inferno leaves at least one feared dead, APA reported citing Mail Online.
More than 600 residents desperately tried to escape the flames as the fire broke out in the middle of the night, with many woken by the screams of others and the smell of burning plastic.
One neighbour said he believed someone had jumped from about 10 to 15 floors to escape the fire, while there were screams of joy and a relief as a five-year-old girl was pulled from the flames by emergency services.
London Ambulance Service said 30 people have been rushed to five hospitals around the capital, while at least one resident is still stuck inside the block on the 11th floor, with firefighters desperately trying to reach him.
The fire accident took place in Latimer Road’s Grenfell Tower located in White City district, APA reported citing The Telegraph.
More than 200 firefighters are tackling a massive blaze at a block of flats, with reports of people trapped in their homes.
Forty fire engines rushed to the 24-storey Grenfell Tower on the Lancaster West Estate, north Kensington, shortly after 1.15am.
At least 30 injured people were taken to hospital, as pictures from the scene showed flames engulfing most of the block.
- 21.08.2017Spanish police arrest main Barcelona attack suspect
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 15.06.2017Turkish UN judge gets over 7 years for FETO membership
- 15.06.20175 PKK terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey
- 14.06.201727-story apartment building on fire in western London
- 14.06.2017Macron: EU door still open to UK
- 14.06.2017Turkish FM to visit Qatar on wednesday