London fire: Six confirmed dead as Grenfell Tower engulfed - UPDATED-2
Six people have been confirmed dead after a huge fire raged through the night at a west London tower block, and police expect that number to rise, APA reported citing BBC.
Eyewitnesses described people trapped in the burning Grenfell Tower, in north Kensington, screaming for help and yelling for their children to be saved.
Firefighters rescued "large numbers", but London Mayor Sadiq Khan said "a lot" of people were unaccounted for.
The 24-storey block, which is still on fire, looks at risk of collapsing.
During the night, eyewitnesses said they saw lights - thought to be mobile phones or torches - flashing at the top of the block of flats, and trapped residents coming to their windows - some holding children.
It is understood that "several hundred" people would have been in the block when the fire broke out shortly after midnight, most of them sleeping.
Commander Stuart Cundy, of the Metropolitan Police said: "I can confirm six fatalities at this time but this figure is likely to rise during what will be a complex recovery operation over a number of days."
He said it was likely to be some time before police could identify the victims, adding that it was too early to speculate on the cause of the fire.
More than 50 people are being treated in hospital, London Ambulance Service says.
By mid-morning, the building looked to be just smoking ruins but the fire has again taken hold, and cladding is falling to the ground.
A number of people have been killed in a huge fire at a 27-storey tower block in west London, the fire service has announced, APA reported citing The Independent.
More than 50 people are being treated in five hospitals across the capital, London Ambulance Service said, as 200 firefighters battle the flames that have engulfed Grenfell Tower in Kensington.
Families 'begged for their lives' as they tried to escape a huge inferno at a residential tower block in West London, with fears that people are still trapped inside with the 27-storey building as it teeters on the brink of collapse.
Trapped residents scream for help and hurl themselves from windows, as the huge inferno leaves at least one feared dead, APA reported citing Mail Online.
More than 600 residents desperately tried to escape the flames as the fire broke out in the middle of the night, with many woken by the screams of others and the smell of burning plastic.
One neighbour said he believed someone had jumped from about 10 to 15 floors to escape the fire, while there were screams of joy and a relief as a five-year-old girl was pulled from the flames by emergency services.
London Ambulance Service said 30 people have been rushed to five hospitals around the capital, while at least one resident is still stuck inside the block on the 11th floor, with firefighters desperately trying to reach him.
The fire accident took place in Latimer Road’s Grenfell Tower located in White City district, APA reported citing The Telegraph.
More than 200 firefighters are tackling a massive blaze at a block of flats, with reports of people trapped in their homes.
Forty fire engines rushed to the 24-storey Grenfell Tower on the Lancaster West Estate, north Kensington, shortly after 1.15am.
At least 30 injured people were taken to hospital, as pictures from the scene showed flames engulfing most of the block.
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Iranian leaders discuss Syria on phone
- 19.02.2018Ankara renames US embassy's street after Operation Olive Branch
- 19.02.2018Turkey warns Assad regime against supporting YPG/PKK
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 15.06.2017Turkish UN judge gets over 7 years for FETO membership
- 15.06.20175 PKK terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey
- 14.06.201727-story apartment building on fire in western London
- 14.06.2017Macron: EU door still open to UK
- 14.06.2017Turkish FM to visit Qatar on wednesday