Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
Thousands of people have gathered in the UK capital on Saturday to demonstrate against Prime Minister Theresa May's intention to form a parliamentary coalition between the Conservative Party and the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) following the UK snap general election and to protest over the lack of government response to the deadly Grenfell Tower fire, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The Independent newspaper specified that the protesters who initially gathered outside Downing Street to oppose the coalition with DUP were joined by those demonstrating against the way local authorities dealt with the implications of the Grenfell Tower fire, leaving at least 58 people missing.
The United Kingdom held the snap election on June 8, which resulted in a hung parliament as May’s Conservative party got 318 mandates, thus failing to secure an overall majority in the House of Commons by falling short of the required 326 seats. Presently, May is in talks on forming the alliance with DUP, which received 10 seats in the election.
On Friday, demonstrators gathered near the Royal Bourough of Kensington and Chelsea Council and demanded release of full information about the number of the people that lived in the Grenfell Tower, as well as full transparency of the investigation and immediate allocation of financial aid to the victims.
A huge fire started at the 24-floor Grenfell tower high-rise block in North Kensington on Wednesday, engulfing the entire building and trapping almost 120 families inside.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Europe not choosing sides in U.S.-China trade dispute
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire