Merkel backs UN proposal to take more refugees
Speaking at a news conference in Berlin, Merkel backed a recent proposal by the UN to increase the number of refugees to be resettled in the EU from the earlier pledged figure of 20,000 to 40,000.
“I think that 40,000 is a figure that will certainly not overstretch a continent with over 500 million people,” Merkel said, adding that the resettlement program was an important part of their efforts to fight smugglers and manage irregular migration flow.
She made the remarks at a joint press conference with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi and International Organization for Migration Director-General William Lacy Swing, following their talks on the refugee crisis and irregular migration in the Mediterranean.
The EU member states agreed in July 2015 to resettle around 20,000 refugees from conflict regions, to ease the burden on countries which host hundreds of thousands of refugees.
But in the last two years, only 17,000 refugees were accepted by the EU member states as part of the resettlement plan.
Many of these refugees were Syrians who fled the civil war and sought protection in the neighboring countries -- Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.
EU member states Hungary and Poland continue their objection to the resettlement plan.
Related news releases
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 11.08.2017Issue concerning Azerbaijani-medium schools to be raised at Georgian parliamentary committee
- 11.08.2017Ties between Russia, Turkey 'promising', says new envoy
- 10.08.2017Czech police ask parliament to allow prosecution of PM candidate Babis
- 10.08.2017Chairperson of Georgian opposition party planning to visit occupied territories
- 10.08.2017Chief of Staff of US Army visits Georgia
- 10.08.2017Turkish police detain Russian-origin militant planning to down US plane with drone at air base
- 10.08.2017Georgia to launch large-scale infrastructure projects in 2018
- 10.08.2017Erdogan to make changes in party before 2019 election
- 09.08.2017Attack on French soldiers: Suspect is Algerian known for small offenses
- 09.08.2017Number announced of Azerbaijani citizens who violated Georgian migration legislation
- 08.08.2017Georgian Embassy issues a statement on Russia-Georgia war anniversary
- 08.08.2017Wildfire death toll in Italy rises to five
- 08.08.2017Elysee palace to issue 'transparency charter' on role of French president's wife
- 07.08.201754 Azerbaijani citizens serve sentences in Georgian prisons
- 07.08.2017Armenian citizen who killed woman and her child in Georgia sentenced to 10 years in prison
- 07.08.2017Armenian citizen detained in Georgia for illegally bringing seafood
- 06.08.2017UK ready to pay up to 40 billion euros to leave EU
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Mogherini to convene EU Security Committee meeting over situation with N. Korea
- 11.08.2017Turkey: Soldier, civilian martyred in clash with PKK
- 11.08.2017Georgian Foreign Ministry calls on Russia to give up aggressive steps