NATO to modernize command structure
Jens Stoltenberg's comments came during a news conference after a NATO Ministers of Defense meeting in Brussels.
The NATO chief said the body had decided on the key elements of the new command structure.
“We will establish a new Joint Force Command for the Atlantic to help protect sea lines of communication between North America and Europe,” Stoltenberg said.
“We will establish a new support Command for logistics, reinforcement and military mobility. Improving the movement of troops and equipment is essential to our collective deterrence and defense,” he added.
A new Cyber Operations Centre will also be set up to further strengthen NATO’s defenses, Stoltenberg added.
The member states' defense ministers will meet in June to decide on timelines and locations of the new commands, he added.
The NATO chief reiterated his comments on Turkey’s Operation Olive Branch saying Turkey had informed the alliance on the operation.
Earlier today, Stoltenberg said Turkey has genuine security concerns.
“Turkey has some legitimate security concerns. No other NATO ally has suffered more terrorist attacks, but we expect Turkey to respond in a proportionate and measured way," Stoltenberg told reporters in Brussels.
"Turkey has briefed NATO allies on their Operation Olive Branch, and I expect Turkey to continue to brief NATO allies on the operation in northern Syria," he added, referring to the operation launched on Jan. 20 with the Free Syrian Army (FSA) to clear PYD/PKK and Daesh terrorists from Afrin, northwestern Syria.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 11.02.2018SBU detained an Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol
- 11.02.2018The biggest problem of Ukraine is corruption – Poroshenko
- 10.02.2018Anti-racism protest after migrant shooting in Italy
- 10.02.2018Representatives of Azerbaijani Diaspora meet with Finnish Ambassador to South Caucasus
- 10.02.2018Turkish FM spokesman slams US remarks on FETO convict
- 10.02.2018Turkish army moves to SE Idlib to set observation point
- 09.02.2018400 Daesh terrorists released by PYD/PKK
- 09.02.2018Turkey arrests 3 over terror propaganda on social media
- 09.02.2018Macron to discuss with Putin his visit to Russia
- 08.02.2018U.S. vows new North Korea sanctions ahead of Olympics face-off
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine