Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
More than 1,000 firefighters were still battling Portugal's deadliest forest blaze on Monday after it killed dozens over the weekend, and a fireman died from his injuries in a hospital, bringing the death toll to at least 63, APA reports quoting Reuters.
More than 70 people, including 13 firefighters, were taken to hospital on Monday with burns and injuries as the fires ravaged the central districts of Leiria and Castelo Branco.
Prime Minister Antonio Costa, who on Sunday visited the affected a mountainous area about 200 kilometers (125 miles) northeast of Lisbon, called it the biggest human tragedy in Portugal in living memory.
Despite government assurances that the first response by the emergency services was swift and adequate, media and residents questioned its efficiency and the strategic planning in a country which is used to wooded areas burning every year.
"So what failed this Saturday? Everything, as it has failed for decades," read a headline in the newspaper Publico. It blamed a lack of coordination between services in charge of fire prevention and firefighting and poor forestry reserve planning.
Xavier Viegas, an expert on forest fires, said the blaze spread too quickly and violently for firefighters to respond in some villages, but the deaths have mainly shown shortcomings in communications to evacuate people in time.
Related news releases
- 29.06.2017Turkish, US defense heads talk PKK/PYD issue in Belgium
- 29.06.20177 PKK terrorists surrender in SE Turkey
- 29.06.2017UN envoy says Cyprus deal 'not impossible'
- 28.06.2017NATO Secretary General: US has expanded its military presence in Europe
- 28.06.2017Ukrainian Interior Ministry accuses Russia of Cyberattacks
- 27.06.2017Charlie Gard parents lose European court appeal
- 27.06.2017Ukrainian banks, electricity firm hit by fresh cyber attack
- 27.06.2017PACE approves report giving grounds for president Agramunt impeachment
- 27.06.2017Al Qaeda releases Swedish hostage after almost six years
- 27.06.2017Italian police use tear gas against migrants at border with France
- 26.06.2017Turkish soldier martyred in mortar attack from N. Iraq
- 25.06.2017UK to maintain duty-free access for developing countries after Brexit
- 25.06.2017UK Parliament hit by cyber-attack
- 25.06.2017Two hundred migrants rescued off Spanish coast
- 24.06.2017London tower blocks evacuated as 27 buildings fail fire tests
- 24.06.20178 Emirati princesses sentenced for mistreating servants
- 24.06.20173 Turkish soldiers wounded in counter-terror operation
- 24.06.2017Five London high-rises evacuated over fire safety fears
- 24.06.2017EU leaders summit ends in Brussels
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey operation
- 23.06.2017Five electrocuted in swimming pool in Turkey
- 23.06.2017EU will restrict visas for states not taking back migrants
- 23.06.2017Theresa May vows 'settled' status for EU expats in post-Brexit UK
- 22.06.2017European Union is to extend sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 22.06.2017French central banker backs European Commission proposals on clearing
- 22.06.20176 suspects remanded in Turkish army food poisoning
- 22.06.2017France's Macron taps newcomers for reshuffle as conservatives split
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: Turkey wants all countries to enjoy friendly relations
- 21.06.2017Turkey spends $5 billion on refugees every year – gov’t official
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: No country provided serious assistance to Turkey during refugee crisis
- 21.06.2017UK PM May says will consult widely on Brexit, but Britain will leave EU
- 21.06.2017UK charges man arrested in East London with terror offenses
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 20.06.2017Canadair plane crashes in Portugal, no information yet about casualties
- 21.06.2017Man shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 19.06.2017Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia