Earthquake kills one person on Greek island of Lesvos - UPDATED
The mayor of Greek island of Lesvos said that one person died in an earthquake, which rocked the island earlier on Monday, local media reported.
The Kathimerini newspaper reported, citing the mayor, that a woman was found dead after her house collapsed in the southern village of Vrisa on Lesvos.
Earlier in the day, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake rocked the island, which is located near the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, destroying several buildings and leaving at least 10 people injured.
A magnitude 6.1 earthquake on Monday rocked the Greek island of Lesbos, which is located near the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, destroying several buildings, a Sputnik correspondent reported, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
According to the Institute of Geodynamics of the National Observatory of Athens, the earthquake occurred between the islands of Lesbos and Chios at 12:28 GMT.
A town of Plomari was particularly affected by the earthquake, with several houses destroyed and one person injured, the Sputnik correspondent has learned.
There have been no official reports of casualties caused by the earthquake so far.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017UK's Brexit minister says there is no plan to leave Brexit talks
- 17.10.2017Catalans hold rally in Barcelona to support jailed leaders
- 17.10.2017Turkey extends state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.10.2017Polish President Duda says hopes Turkey will join EU
- 17.10.2017Ten suspects allegedly 'plotting to kill' politicians arrested in France
- 17.10.201712 wounded in bomb attack against police shuttle in Turkey’s Mersin
- 17.10.2017Georgia detains Armenian citizen over cigarette smuggling
- 17.10.2017Ukrainian police report some 6,000 attending rallies in central Kyiv
- 17.10.2017Two Catalonian leaders behind independence movement detained for sedition
- 17.10.2017Turkish court frees US Consulate worker’s wife, child
- 16.10.20172 Turkish soldiers martyred in northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017Turkey closes airspace for flights to northern Iraq
- 16.10.2017EU defends Iran deal despite Trump, appeals to U.S. Congress
- 16.10.2017Two killed as Storm Ophelia lashes Ireland, UK
- 16.10.2017Former Turkish CHP head Deniz Baykal taken to hospital over severe influenza
- 15.10.2017Cargo plane crash off Ivory Coast kills four Moldovans
- 15.10.2017Poland doctors demand better pay, hike in funding for health care system
- 14.10.2017Turkey, Russia seen coordinating on Syria
- 14.10.2017Turkey welcomes Hamas-Fatah reconciliation
- 14.10.2017IAEA: Tehran Implements All Commitments Under Iran Nuclear Deal
- 14.10.2017EU's top diplomat defends Iran deal after Trump speech
- 13.10.2017Turkish army chief inspects troops near Syrian border
- 13.10.2017France's Azoulay wins UNESCO director general election
- 13.10.2017Over 220 illegal migrants held in Turkey
- 13.10.2017Several injured after gunman opens fire in Sweden
- 12.10.2017Brexit talks with UK in 'disturbing deadlock': EU
- 12.10.2017Georgian president calls for ‘unified strategy’ against Russia
- 12.10.2017Turkey: Visa row with US likely to be resolved soon
- 11.10.2017Turkish, US FMs discuss visa row over phone
- 11.10.2017Madrid gives Catalonia until october 16 to clarify situation over independence
- 11.10.2017Georgia detains two Armenians over cigarette smuggling
- 11.10.2017Georgia, EU beginning strategic dialogue on security
- 11.10.2017Spanish government refuses to recognize declaration of Catalan independence
- 11.10.2017Spanish Council of Ministers to hold emergency session on Wednesday
- 11.10.2017The Catalan leadership signed a declaration of independence
- 10.10.2017Erdogan blames US for initiating visa row with Turkey
- 10.10.2017Leader of Catalonia suggests suspending independence process - UPDATED-2
- 10.10.2017EU urges Catalonia's leader not to declare independence
- 10.10.2017Erdogan arrives in Belgrade for two-day visit
- 10.10.2017Global unemployment tops 200 million
- 13.06.2017Two arrested by UK police after facebook video shows Koran burning
- 13.06.2017G7 summit ends in Italy without US pledge on Paris deal - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017UK needs unity for challenges of Brexit and security
- 12.06.2017Turkey calls on N. Iraq to reconsider referendum bid
- 12.06.2017UK urges Gulf states to ease blockade against Qatar
- 12.06.2017Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik changes his name