Earthquake kills one person on Greek island of Lesvos - UPDATED
The mayor of Greek island of Lesvos said that one person died in an earthquake, which rocked the island earlier on Monday, local media reported.
The Kathimerini newspaper reported, citing the mayor, that a woman was found dead after her house collapsed in the southern village of Vrisa on Lesvos.
Earlier in the day, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake rocked the island, which is located near the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, destroying several buildings and leaving at least 10 people injured.
A magnitude 6.1 earthquake on Monday rocked the Greek island of Lesbos, which is located near the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, destroying several buildings, a Sputnik correspondent reported, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
According to the Institute of Geodynamics of the National Observatory of Athens, the earthquake occurred between the islands of Lesbos and Chios at 12:28 GMT.
A town of Plomari was particularly affected by the earthquake, with several houses destroyed and one person injured, the Sputnik correspondent has learned.
There have been no official reports of casualties caused by the earthquake so far.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Al Qaeda releases Swedish hostage after almost six years
- 27.06.2017Italian police use tear gas against migrants at border with France
- 26.06.2017Turkish soldier martyred in mortar attack from N. Iraq
- 25.06.2017UK to maintain duty-free access for developing countries after Brexit
- 25.06.2017UK Parliament hit by cyber-attack
- 25.06.2017Two hundred migrants rescued off Spanish coast
- 24.06.2017London tower blocks evacuated as 27 buildings fail fire tests
- 24.06.20178 Emirati princesses sentenced for mistreating servants
- 24.06.20173 Turkish soldiers wounded in counter-terror operation
- 24.06.2017Five London high-rises evacuated over fire safety fears
- 24.06.2017EU leaders summit ends in Brussels
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey operation
- 23.06.2017Five electrocuted in swimming pool in Turkey
- 23.06.2017EU will restrict visas for states not taking back migrants
- 23.06.2017Theresa May vows 'settled' status for EU expats in post-Brexit UK
- 22.06.2017European Union is to extend sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 22.06.2017French central banker backs European Commission proposals on clearing
- 22.06.20176 suspects remanded in Turkish army food poisoning
- 22.06.2017France's Macron taps newcomers for reshuffle as conservatives split
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: Turkey wants all countries to enjoy friendly relations
- 21.06.2017Turkey spends $5 billion on refugees every year – gov’t official
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: No country provided serious assistance to Turkey during refugee crisis
- 21.06.2017UK PM May says will consult widely on Brexit, but Britain will leave EU
- 21.06.2017UK charges man arrested in East London with terror offenses
- 21.06.2017Man shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims
- 20.06.2017Canadair plane crashes in Portugal, no information yet about casualties
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 19.06.2017Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 17.06.2017Swiss prosecution conducts 25 FIFA corruption probes
- 13.06.2017Two arrested by UK police after facebook video shows Koran burning
- 13.06.2017G7 summit ends in Italy without US pledge on Paris deal - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017UK needs unity for challenges of Brexit and security
- 12.06.2017Turkey calls on N. Iraq to reconsider referendum bid
- 12.06.2017UK urges Gulf states to ease blockade against Qatar
- 12.06.2017Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik changes his name