Earthquake kills one person on Greek island of Lesvos - UPDATED
The mayor of Greek island of Lesvos said that one person died in an earthquake, which rocked the island earlier on Monday, local media reported.
The Kathimerini newspaper reported, citing the mayor, that a woman was found dead after her house collapsed in the southern village of Vrisa on Lesvos.
Earlier in the day, a magnitude 6.3 earthquake rocked the island, which is located near the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, destroying several buildings and leaving at least 10 people injured.
A magnitude 6.1 earthquake on Monday rocked the Greek island of Lesbos, which is located near the coast of Turkey in the Aegean Sea, destroying several buildings, a Sputnik correspondent reported, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
According to the Institute of Geodynamics of the National Observatory of Athens, the earthquake occurred between the islands of Lesbos and Chios at 12:28 GMT.
A town of Plomari was particularly affected by the earthquake, with several houses destroyed and one person injured, the Sputnik correspondent has learned.
There have been no official reports of casualties caused by the earthquake so far.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2018Britain's Queen Elizabeth celebrates 92 years with star-studded concert
- 21.04.2018Threat comes from strategic partners: Erdogan
- 21.04.2018Tens of thousands of Hungarians protest against PM Orban's rule
- 21.04.2018MHP chairman says his party's presidential candidate is Erdogan
- 19.04.2018OSCE/ODIHR director urges Armenian authorities to ensure right to freedom of peaceful assembly
- 19.04.2018Deputy Prime Minister: "Turkish State of Emergency to not effect snap elections"
- 19.04.2018PM Kvirikashvili: Ethnic minorities in Georgia should be informed about benefits of NATO integration
- 19.04.2018German leaders to seek waivers from US sanctions on Russia
- 19.04.2018Basque separatist group ETA to be dissolved in May
- 19.04.2018MHP to support Erdogan in snap presidential election
- 18.04.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 7th time
- 18.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan announces snap elections on June 24
- 18.04.2018Turkey rejects allegations in EU report
- 17.04.2018US: Plane makes emergency landing after engine failure
- 17.04.2018Turkey to extend state of emergency for 3 more months
- 17.04.2018Turkey's security council advises extending emergency
- 17.04.2018Georgian interior minister: Sustainable economic growth impossible without security
- 17.04.20188 killed in severe road accident in southern Ukraine
- 17.04.2018British PM May defends Syria strikes against parliament critics
- 16.04.2018Erdogan, Merkel discuss Syria over phone
- 16.04.2018Erdogan: West tries to tarnish Islamic world through terrorist organizations
- 16.04.2018Stoltenberg says no other NATO ally suffers as much from terrorist attacks as Turkey
- 16.04.2018Turkey warns Greece over disputed Aegean islets
- 16.04.2018Leader of Georgia’s Girchi Zurab Japaridze says he will run for president in 2018
- 16.04.2018Turkey’s Patriotic Party: Appropriate measures to be taken to prevent “Armenian genocide” board from being hung on church wall in Amsterdam
- 15.04.2018France, US, UK launch joint draft resolution on Syria
- 15.04.2018Putin, Erdogan agree to intensify bilateral cooperation on Syrian issue
- 14.04.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 14.04.2018Turkey not making choice between Russia, US: Cavusoglu
- 14.04.2018Germany, France to initiate new format of talks on Syrian settlement
- 14.04.2018Turkish FM: We need to get rid of Assad
- 14.04.2018Georgian FM supports US and allies on Syrian operation
- 14.04.2018Turkey says was informed ahead of air strikes on Syria
- 14.04.2018Turkey welcomes US-led joint airstrikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Catalan parliament calls for Spanish judge to be charged over jailed politician
- 13.04.2018Russia spied on Skripal and daughter for at least 5 years: UK
- 13.04.2018Turkey slams Switzerland over 'Armenian Monument'
- 13.04.2018Macron urges stepped-up dialogue with Russia over Syria
- 13.04.2018Sweden submits new draft resolution on Syria to UN Security Council
- 12.04.2018Turkish, Greek PMs discuss jet fighter crash
- 13.06.2017Two arrested by UK police after facebook video shows Koran burning
- 13.06.2017G7 summit ends in Italy without US pledge on Paris deal - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017UK needs unity for challenges of Brexit and security
- 12.06.2017Turkey calls on N. Iraq to reconsider referendum bid
- 12.06.2017UK urges Gulf states to ease blockade against Qatar
- 12.06.2017Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik changes his name