Terrorists kill teacher, attack gendarmerie post
A young female music teacher was killed during the PKK terror group’s attack on the car of a district mayor in southeastern Turkey’s Batman province on Friday, according to a gendarme source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
At least one other civilian was also injured in the attack.
Two PKK terrorists had first opened fire on the car of Kozluk mayor, which was being driven by one of his relatives. However, the gun shots ended up killing a 22-year-old music teacher and injuring another civilian.
Later security forces intercepted one of the two terrorists at a gendarmerie station near the entrance to Bekirhan in Kozluk; however, the terrorist blew up the car when told to stop, wounding two soldiers and a civilian.
An operation is underway to capture the other terrorist.
Separately, two soldiers were martyred and three others injured when the PKK terror group attacked a military base in southeastern Sirnak province on Friday, a military source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015. Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of around 1,200 people, including women and children.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017Al Qaeda releases Swedish hostage after almost six years
- 27.06.2017Italian police use tear gas against migrants at border with France
- 26.06.2017Turkish soldier martyred in mortar attack from N. Iraq
- 25.06.2017UK to maintain duty-free access for developing countries after Brexit
- 25.06.2017UK Parliament hit by cyber-attack
- 25.06.2017Two hundred migrants rescued off Spanish coast
- 24.06.2017London tower blocks evacuated as 27 buildings fail fire tests
- 24.06.20178 Emirati princesses sentenced for mistreating servants
- 24.06.20173 Turkish soldiers wounded in counter-terror operation
- 24.06.2017Five London high-rises evacuated over fire safety fears
- 24.06.2017EU leaders summit ends in Brussels
- 23.06.20176 PKK terrorists 'neutralized' in SE Turkey operation
- 23.06.2017Five electrocuted in swimming pool in Turkey
- 23.06.2017EU will restrict visas for states not taking back migrants
- 23.06.2017Theresa May vows 'settled' status for EU expats in post-Brexit UK
- 22.06.2017European Union is to extend sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
- 22.06.2017French central banker backs European Commission proposals on clearing
- 22.06.20176 suspects remanded in Turkish army food poisoning
- 22.06.2017France's Macron taps newcomers for reshuffle as conservatives split
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: Turkey wants all countries to enjoy friendly relations
- 21.06.2017Turkey spends $5 billion on refugees every year – gov’t official
- 21.06.2017Mehmet Akarca: No country provided serious assistance to Turkey during refugee crisis
- 21.06.2017UK PM May says will consult widely on Brexit, but Britain will leave EU
- 21.06.2017UK charges man arrested in East London with terror offenses
- 21.06.2017Man shot in Brussels rail station amid bomb belt claims
- 20.06.2017Canadair plane crashes in Portugal, no information yet about casualties
- 20.06.2017Soldier martyred, 6 injured in eastern Turkey
- 20.06.2017Portugal's deadliest fire still rages after 63 people killed
- 19.06.2017Fire at French nuclear reactor, safety body says no radiation
- 19.06.2017Car rams police vehicle on Paris' Champs Elysees, driver likely dead
- 19.06.2017Lightning strikes Turkish plane flying to Georgia
- 18.06.2017Forest fire in central Portugal leaves 24 people dead
- 18.06.2017France offers UK assistance in Grenfell tower fire investigation
- 18.06.2017Londoners protest against May's conservative party likely deal with DUP
- 18.06.2017Two earthquakes rattle Aegean Sea
- 17.06.2017Erdogan slams opposition CHP leader for 'justice' march
- 17.06.201758 people feared dead in London tower fire
- 17.06.2017Syria talks in Geneva to resume on July 10
- 17.06.2017Four US F/A-18 pilot deaths tied to oxygen system issues
- 17.06.2017Swiss prosecution conducts 25 FIFA corruption probes
- 10.06.2017Turkish leader backs Qatar amid diplomatic row
- 10.06.2017Election debacle leaves UK government in a minority on eve of Brexit talks
- 10.06.2017Former Turkish footballer arrested for collaborating with mafia
- 09.06.2017Juncker urges EU states to boost defense spending
- 09.06.2017Georgian court upholds verdict of life imprisonment against person who brutually murdered Azerbaijanis in Turkey
- 09.06.2017Conservatives lead UK polls with results counted in 622 out of 650 constituencies - UPDATED