Terrorists kill teacher, attack gendarmerie post
A young female music teacher was killed during the PKK terror group’s attack on the car of a district mayor in southeastern Turkey’s Batman province on Friday, according to a gendarme source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
At least one other civilian was also injured in the attack.
Two PKK terrorists had first opened fire on the car of Kozluk mayor, which was being driven by one of his relatives. However, the gun shots ended up killing a 22-year-old music teacher and injuring another civilian.
Later security forces intercepted one of the two terrorists at a gendarmerie station near the entrance to Bekirhan in Kozluk; however, the terrorist blew up the car when told to stop, wounding two soldiers and a civilian.
An operation is underway to capture the other terrorist.
Separately, two soldiers were martyred and three others injured when the PKK terror group attacked a military base in southeastern Sirnak province on Friday, a military source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015. Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of around 1,200 people, including women and children.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Sweden: Armed attack injures 4 in Malmo
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 12.06.2018Greece, Macedonia resolving long-standing name row
- 12.06.2018Armed man holed up with hostages in Paris, police deployed to the scene
- 12.06.2018IMF will remain engaged in Greece, Lagarde says
- 10.06.2018Erdogan slams Austria for shutting mosques
- 09.06.2018Russia’s return to G7 requires implementation of Minsk Agreements — Merkel
- 09.06.2018Merkel says differences on trade remain despite joint G7 communique
- 09.06.2018Arab leaders to hold meeting with King Abdullah over Jordan crisis
- 09.06.2018Bomb kills one and wounds 14 in Iraq's Kirkuk
- 09.06.2018UK: Boris Johnson's Brexit remarks cause controversy
- 08.06.2018Three tourists die in Georgia rafting accident
- 08.06.2018Russian, US military leaders to meet in Helsinki
- 08.06.2018Vienna to host possible meeting between Putin and Trump
- 08.06.2018Erdogan hints at lifting state of emergency after polls
- 08.06.2018NATO, EU welcome Afghanistan’s ceasefire announcement
- 10.06.2017Turkish leader backs Qatar amid diplomatic row
- 10.06.2017Election debacle leaves UK government in a minority on eve of Brexit talks
- 10.06.2017Former Turkish footballer arrested for collaborating with mafia
- 09.06.2017Juncker urges EU states to boost defense spending
- 09.06.2017Georgian court upholds verdict of life imprisonment against person who brutually murdered Azerbaijanis in Turkey
- 09.06.2017Conservatives lead UK polls with results counted in 622 out of 650 constituencies - UPDATED