Terrorists kill teacher, attack gendarmerie post
A young female music teacher was killed during the PKK terror group’s attack on the car of a district mayor in southeastern Turkey’s Batman province on Friday, according to a gendarme source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
At least one other civilian was also injured in the attack.
Two PKK terrorists had first opened fire on the car of Kozluk mayor, which was being driven by one of his relatives. However, the gun shots ended up killing a 22-year-old music teacher and injuring another civilian.
Later security forces intercepted one of the two terrorists at a gendarmerie station near the entrance to Bekirhan in Kozluk; however, the terrorist blew up the car when told to stop, wounding two soldiers and a civilian.
An operation is underway to capture the other terrorist.
Separately, two soldiers were martyred and three others injured when the PKK terror group attacked a military base in southeastern Sirnak province on Friday, a military source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015. Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of around 1,200 people, including women and children.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2018Armenian President suggests normalizing relations with Turkey through a new document
- 18.02.2018Latvian Central Bank Governor detained in corruption probe
- 18.02.2018Small earthquake hits Britain, strongest for 10 years
- 18.02.2018Thousands rally against Munich Security Conference in Germany
- 17.02.2018Sweden grants citizenship to scientist sentenced to death in Iran
- 17.02.2018Blast at Agricultural Plant in Northern France Leaves 2 Killed
- 17.02.2018Georgian, Turkish PMs discuss regional transport projects
- 17.02.2018Moldova to host summit of GUAM prime ministers
- 17.02.2018Lavrov: Russia Ready for partnership with EU, US based on mutual respect
- 17.02.2018Turkey, US joint statement alludes to YPG terror group
- 16.02.2018Uncertainty reigns in final polls ahead of Italy election
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: US will 'work on' its Manbij promises given to Turkey
- 16.02.2018Tillerson: 'US, Turkey will act together'
- 16.02.2018Two killed in Turkish military training plane crash
- 16.02.2018UK Business leaders propose partial customs union with EU
- 16.02.2018PM Yildirim sends condolences to US Vice President
- 16.02.2018Turkish president, US secretary of state meet for 3 hours and 15 minutes in Ankara - UPDATED
- 15.02.201822 families evacuated after huge sinkhole opens up in Rome
- 15.02.2018Turkey, Germany vow to improve strained ties
- 15.02.2018U.S. State Secretary arrives in Turkey
- 15.02.2018Leading Swiss rail company to construct carriage-building and repair plant in Tbilisi
- 15.02.2018Turkey’s opposition leader Kilicdaroglu hospitalized
- 15.02.2018NATO to modernize command structure
- 14.02.2018Turkish defense min. meets US counterpart in Brussels
- 14.02.2018France will strike Syria if chemical weapons use proven
- 14.02.2018Saakashvili promises more protests in Ukraine
- 14.02.2018Turkish, Greek prime ministers speak over phone
- 13.02.2018Martin Schulz resigns as German SPD chief
- 13.02.20183 killed as migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 13.02.2018Dutch foreign minister resigns after lying about Putin
- 13.02.2018UK judge refuses to withdraw arrest warrant for Assange
- 13.02.2018Turkish defense head attends anti-Daesh meeting in Rome
- 13.02.2018N. Ireland power-sharing talks enter ‘decisive phase’
- 13.02.2018One killed, 22 hurt in Austrian train crash: police
- 12.02.2018Ukraine deports Saakashvili on charter flight to Poland - border service
- 12.02.2018Georgia believes in power of dialogue in resolving regional conflicts, minister says
- 12.02.201831 Turkish soldiers killed since Afrin op launched, military says
- 11.02.2018SBU detained an Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol
- 11.02.2018The biggest problem of Ukraine is corruption – Poroshenko
- 10.02.2018Anti-racism protest after migrant shooting in Italy
- 10.06.2017Turkish leader backs Qatar amid diplomatic row
- 10.06.2017Election debacle leaves UK government in a minority on eve of Brexit talks
- 10.06.2017Former Turkish footballer arrested for collaborating with mafia
- 09.06.2017Juncker urges EU states to boost defense spending
- 09.06.2017Georgian court upholds verdict of life imprisonment against person who brutually murdered Azerbaijanis in Turkey
- 09.06.2017Conservatives lead UK polls with results counted in 622 out of 650 constituencies - UPDATED