Terrorists kill teacher, attack gendarmerie post
A young female music teacher was killed during the PKK terror group’s attack on the car of a district mayor in southeastern Turkey’s Batman province on Friday, according to a gendarme source, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
At least one other civilian was also injured in the attack.
Two PKK terrorists had first opened fire on the car of Kozluk mayor, which was being driven by one of his relatives. However, the gun shots ended up killing a 22-year-old music teacher and injuring another civilian.
Later security forces intercepted one of the two terrorists at a gendarmerie station near the entrance to Bekirhan in Kozluk; however, the terrorist blew up the car when told to stop, wounding two soldiers and a civilian.
An operation is underway to capture the other terrorist.
Separately, two soldiers were martyred and three others injured when the PKK terror group attacked a military base in southeastern Sirnak province on Friday, a military source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media, said.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015. Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of around 1,200 people, including women and children.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017Terror threat in Europe remains serious: Hungarian FM
- 22.08.2017Latvian Cabinet backs bill banning face veils in public places
- 22.08.2017Seven generals and admirals request retirement in Turkey
- 22.08.2017Turkish FM Cavusoglu to visit Iraq on Wednesday
- 22.08.2017Quake hits Italian island, one dead, 25 injured
- 21.08.2017Turkish forces kill 6 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq, Turkey
- 21.08.2017Serbia pulls diplomats from Macedonia
- 21.08.2017Spanish police arrest main Barcelona attack suspect
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 10.06.2017Turkish leader backs Qatar amid diplomatic row
- 10.06.2017Election debacle leaves UK government in a minority on eve of Brexit talks
- 10.06.2017Former Turkish footballer arrested for collaborating with mafia
- 09.06.2017Juncker urges EU states to boost defense spending
- 09.06.2017Georgian court upholds verdict of life imprisonment against person who brutually murdered Azerbaijanis in Turkey
- 09.06.2017Conservatives lead UK polls with results counted in 622 out of 650 constituencies - UPDATED