Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
Turkey’s foreign minister on Friday criticized a new U.S. travel warning on Turkey as “unnecessary”, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency
Speaking in Los Angeles during his visit to a cemetery for martyred Turkish diplomats, Mevlut Cavusoglu said that Turkey and the U.S. shouldn't waste time on “unnecessary” actions not suiting an ally such as the new State Department warning on Turkey.
“Turkey is a much safer country than the U.S. considering the events of 2017, we can easily say that Turkey is not less safe than the U.S. but a much safer country,” he added.
He noted that around 32 million tourists visited Turkey last year, and the number of early reservations from the U.S. is higher for the upcoming season.
Cavusoglu also stressed that as allies, Turkish-U.S. ties should “focus on a positive agenda and cooperation on regional issues.”
Xenophobia in America is alarming, he said, adding: “We saw how the U.S. administration, particularly the Trump administration, humiliated other countries.”
The U.S. State Department issued an advisory dated Jan. 12 urging U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Turkey “due to terrorism” and what it called “arbitrary detentions.”
On Friday Turkey's Foreign Ministry also issued a travel advisory for citizens travelling to the U.S., warning them of rising acts of terrorism and arbitrary arrests of Turkish citizens.
The gravesite visited by Cavusoglu is the final resting place of three Turkish diplomats killed in the U.S., in the line of duty, by the Armenian terrorist group ASALA.
Turkish Consul General Mehmet Baydar and Consul Bahadir Demir were martyred on Jan. 27, 1973, and on Jan. 28, 1982, Turkish Consul General Kemal Arikan was martyred in another racist hate attack.
Armenian terrorist organizations killed 31 Turkish diplomats across the world between 1973 and 1986, according to a 2015 study.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough in EU migration talks
- 22.06.2018Erdogan sheds light on Turkey’s new presidential system
- 22.06.2018Pompeo plans North Korea meeting at 'earliest possible date': U.S. spokeswoman
- 22.06.2018Turkish soldier succumbs to injuries
- 21.06.2018Man arrested in Germany was planning biological terror attack
- 20.06.2018EU to launch counter-tariffs against US on Friday
- 20.06.2018Merkel seeks refugee deal with EU partners
- 20.06.2018Merkel to Trump: Falling German crime stats 'speak for themselves'
- 20.06.2018'Minor Explosion' at UK Train Station spurs evacuation - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018France to lead joint fighter jet program with Germany
- 19.06.2018France, Germany vow to boost EU defense and security
- 19.06.2018Turkish deputy PM: We will definitely take F-35s
- 19.06.2018Turkish soldier martyred in bomb attack in SE Turkey
- 19.06.2018Turkey: 45 injured in bus crash
- 19.06.2018One killed, four injured in Malmo shooting: Swedish police - UPDATED
- 18.06.2018Candidate for Georgian premiership says number of ministries will decrease
- 18.06.2018EU extends sanctions against Russia for a year over Crimea
- 17.06.2018Turkey set to create own Antarctic research station next year — president
- 17.06.2018Protesters demand justice for Grenfell in London
- 17.06.2018OPEC+ to discuss production increase of 1.5 mln barrels only for Q3 — Russian minister
- 17.06.20186 arrested, 200 kg narcotics seized by Albanian police
- 16.06.2018Erdogan vows improved animal protection laws post polls
- 16.06.2018US soldier gets decked in face in drunken fistfight with Azerbaijanis in Lithuania
- 16.06.2018France's Macron looks for common ground with Italy on immigration debate
- 16.06.2018Turkish, Qatari leaders discuss Palestine over phone
- 15.06.2018Greece, Macedonia to sign name change accord June 17: Greek ministry
- 15.06.2018Police chief of Georgia’s Adjara region murdered
- 15.06.2018Turkish PM says state of emergency to be lifted
- 14.06.2018Turkish PM says armed attackers in southeastern Turkey are PKK supporters
- 14.06.2018France is ready to accept migrants from Aquarius Ship amid standoff with Italy - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Armed attack on campaigning AK Party members in SE Turkey leaves 3 dead, 8 injured - UPDATED
- 14.06.2018Mamuka Bakhtadze nominated as Georgian PM
- 14.06.2018Turkish jets ‘neutralize’ 3 PKK terrorists in N. Iraq
- 13.06.2018Macedonia president says won't approve name deal with Greece
- 13.06.2018Georgian PM resigns
- 13.06.2018Mogherini: EU to present proposals on security following Salisbury incident
- 13.06.2018Germany's Merkel calls for common EU refugee policy
- 13.06.2018Tesla cuts 9 percent of workforce in search for profit
- 12.06.2018Man arrested after hostage incident in Paris - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Turkish president: "We didn’t buy S-400 to keep them in store, will use if needed"
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 12.01.2018Turkey issues travel warning for US
- 12.01.2018Turkey dismisses over 260 officials with new decree
- 12.01.2018Bulgaria officially assumes EU presidency