Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
Turkey is mourning the 15-year-old boy who was martyred by PKK terrorists in northern Turkey late Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Eren Bulbul died from wounds sustained as he helped gendarmes track PKK terrorists in Macka, a town 22 kilometers (14 miles) south of the Black Sea province of Trabzon.
Gendarmerie Master Sgt. Ferhat Gedik, 41, was injured in the same incident and also martyred.
Funeral prayers for Eren was held Saturday afternoon and was attended by Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu.
Deputy Prime Minister Fikri Isik visited the hospital where Eren had been treated to express his condolences to the boy’s family.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, head of the opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), condemned the attack.
“You are so low as to fire a bullet at a 15-year-old boy,” he said in a tweet.
Kilicdaroglu also called Eren's brother Olcay on Saturday and expressed his condolences, according to a statement made by CHP on Saturday.
Many people in Macka reacted to the killing of Eren by hanging Turkish flags at their houses and workplaces.
A poster of Eren was also hung outside the town hall with the words “Eren Bulbul, Macka will never forget you. Our martyrs rest in peace.”
On Twitter, thousands of Turkish people posted messages commemorating Eren with the hashtag #iyikivarsınEren (means 'glad to have you' in Turkish).
NGOs, artists, businessmen and sport clubs all over Turkey condemned terror and killing of the 15-year-old boy, in statements.
Football teams in the Turkish Super Lig will also come out onto the pitch with banners commemorating Eren and will stand in silence for one minute during the first week of the league on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, according to a statement of Turkish Football Federation on Saturday.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015.
Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including women and children.
- 24.01.2018At U.N., Russia proposes new inquiry into chemical attacks in Syria
- 24.01.2018Erdogan, Putin discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Turkish army chief says all terrorists to pay price
- 23.01.2018Turkish, French presidents discuss Syria over phone
- 23.01.2018Georgia should have strong defense capabilities – U.S. envoy
- 23.01.2018U.S. delivers first batch of military equipment to Georgia
- 23.01.2018London van attacker meant to kill Muslims: Prosecutors
- 23.01.2018US officials arrive in Ankara to discuss Syria
- 23.01.2018Afrin op will go on until 'last terrorist neutralized'
- 22.01.2018Turkey: Operation in Syria targets terror groups
- 22.01.2018Turkey's gross debt climbs to $231.3B in 2017
- 22.01.2018Turkey’s Erdogan says Afrin operation won’t end before reaching its goal
- 22.01.2018Survey: 27% of Romanians in favor of unification with Moldova
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani schoolboy dies of meningococcemia in Georgia
- 22.01.2018Religious history teaching could be resumed in Georgian schools
- 22.01.2018Railway tunnel explosion in Georgia leaves 3 injured
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says