Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
Turkey is mourning the 15-year-old boy who was martyred by PKK terrorists in northern Turkey late Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Eren Bulbul died from wounds sustained as he helped gendarmes track PKK terrorists in Macka, a town 22 kilometers (14 miles) south of the Black Sea province of Trabzon.
Gendarmerie Master Sgt. Ferhat Gedik, 41, was injured in the same incident and also martyred.
Funeral prayers for Eren was held Saturday afternoon and was attended by Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu.
Deputy Prime Minister Fikri Isik visited the hospital where Eren had been treated to express his condolences to the boy’s family.
Kemal Kilicdaroglu, head of the opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), condemned the attack.
“You are so low as to fire a bullet at a 15-year-old boy,” he said in a tweet.
Kilicdaroglu also called Eren's brother Olcay on Saturday and expressed his condolences, according to a statement made by CHP on Saturday.
Many people in Macka reacted to the killing of Eren by hanging Turkish flags at their houses and workplaces.
A poster of Eren was also hung outside the town hall with the words “Eren Bulbul, Macka will never forget you. Our martyrs rest in peace.”
On Twitter, thousands of Turkish people posted messages commemorating Eren with the hashtag #iyikivarsınEren (means 'glad to have you' in Turkish).
NGOs, artists, businessmen and sport clubs all over Turkey condemned terror and killing of the 15-year-old boy, in statements.
Football teams in the Turkish Super Lig will also come out onto the pitch with banners commemorating Eren and will stand in silence for one minute during the first week of the league on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, according to a statement of Turkish Football Federation on Saturday.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and EU -- resumed its armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015.
Since then, it has been responsible for the deaths of some 1,200 Turkish security personnel and civilians, including women and children.
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 12.08.2017Portugal, France battling fresh wildfires
- 12.08.2017Merkel backs UN proposal to take more refugees
- 12.08.2017Mogherini to convene EU Security Committee meeting over situation with N. Korea
- 11.08.2017Turkey: Soldier, civilian martyred in clash with PKK
- 11.08.2017Georgian Foreign Ministry calls on Russia to give up aggressive steps
- 11.08.2017Issue concerning Azerbaijani-medium schools to be raised at Georgian parliamentary committee
- 11.08.2017Ties between Russia, Turkey 'promising', says new envoy
- 10.08.2017Czech police ask parliament to allow prosecution of PM candidate Babis
- 10.08.2017Chairperson of Georgian opposition party planning to visit occupied territories
- 10.08.2017Chief of Staff of US Army visits Georgia
- 10.08.2017Turkish police detain Russian-origin militant planning to down US plane with drone at air base
- 10.08.2017Georgia to launch large-scale infrastructure projects in 2018
- 10.08.2017Erdogan to make changes in party before 2019 election
- 09.08.2017Attack on French soldiers: Suspect is Algerian known for small offenses
- 09.08.2017Number announced of Azerbaijani citizens who violated Georgian migration legislation
- 08.08.2017Georgian Embassy issues a statement on Russia-Georgia war anniversary
- 08.08.2017Wildfire death toll in Italy rises to five
- 08.08.2017Elysee palace to issue 'transparency charter' on role of French president's wife
- 07.08.201754 Azerbaijani citizens serve sentences in Georgian prisons
- 07.08.2017Armenian citizen who killed woman and her child in Georgia sentenced to 10 years in prison
- 07.08.2017Armenian citizen detained in Georgia for illegally bringing seafood
- 06.08.2017UK ready to pay up to 40 billion euros to leave EU
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says