Turkey, Russia sign S-400 missile defense system deal
Turkey said Friday it has signed an agreement with Russia for the purchase of the S-400 missile defense systems, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Turkey's Undersecretariat for Defense Industries said in a statement: "We will receive two S-400 missile defense systems. One is optional."
The statement added that the Turkish Armed Forces will control the defense system entirely.
"The system can be used independently without any external connection," it said.
The statement added that details of the payment had not been shared due to confidentiality principles agreed upon between the parties.
The delivery would be made in early 2020.
Turkey's National Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli on Wednesday had confirmed an earlier statement by Russia's state defense corporation Rostec that the deal had been concluded.
“Two systems, four batteries in total. The deal is completely done,” Canikli said.
The S-400 is Russia's most advanced long-range anti-aircraft missile system with a capacity of carrying three types of missiles capable of destroying targets including ballistic and cruise missiles.
The system can track and engage up to 300 targets at a time and has an altitude ceiling of 27 kilometers (17 miles).
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Key cardinal rebukes pope over abuse comment in rare move
- 21.01.2018Turkish army chief speaks to US, Russian counterparts
- 21.01.2018Turkish ground offensive into Afrin likely to start on Sunday: PM Yıldırım
- 20.01.2018Hotel fire in Prague kills two, injures Dozens
- 20.01.2018Turkey says Afrin operation targets terrorists
- 20.01.2018Erdogan: Ground operation in Syria's Afrin begins
- 20.01.201813 killed, 42 injured in bus accident in Turkey
- 20.01.2018Turkish presidential aide, US adviser discuss terrorism
- 19.01.2018Georgia PM won’t run for president
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm claims 8 lives in Germany
- 19.01.2018Turkey will carry out military operation in Afrin – defense minister
- 19.01.2018Putin takes icy plunge into waters of Lake Seliger
- 19.01.2018Nine dead as huge storms batter Europe
- 19.01.2018Deadly storm Friederike causes Dutch and German transport chaos
- 18.01.2018Turkey extends state of emergency for 3-more months - UPDATED
- 18.01.2018Turkey will take steps in Syrian border region if demands not met: Deputy PM
- 18.01.2018Merkel defends EU-Turkey refugee agreement
- 18.01.2018National Security Council: Formation of terrorist army across Turkish border will not be allowed
- 17.01.2018Three killed in military plane crash in Turkey
- 17.01.2018Czech Parliament will approve new cabinet only without Babis as PM
- 17.01.2018Parliament postponed voting for the law on the Donbass
- 16.01.2018Turkey's Erdogan, NATO chief discuss Syria over phone
- 16.01.2018Terrorists cannot protect NATO borders, says Turkish PM
- 16.01.2018Denmark will increase defense spending to counter Russia: PM
- 16.01.2018Up to 20 injured in Belgium blast
- 16.01.2018Lead singer of The Cranberries dies aged 46 in London
- 16.01.2018Turkish premier talks to Iraqi counterpart over phone
- 15.01.2018Germany's Christian Democrats approve coalition deal
- 15.01.2018US treats Turkey as its ‘enemy’, says PM Yildirim
- 15.01.2018Hotel catches fire in Tbilisi
- 14.01.2018Turkey rejects idea of 'Privileged Partnership' with European Union
- 14.01.2018Dozen of Neo-Nazis arrested over participation in unauthorized rally in Sweden
- 13.01.2018Explosion injures 8 in northern Albania
- 13.01.2018Thousands protest against Austrian government's shift to the right
- 13.01.2018Miloš Zeman leads first round of Czech Republic presidential elections
- 13.01.2018Czech presidential vote sets up Zeman-Drahos second round clash
- 13.01.2018EU to assess Trump statement on Iran
- 13.01.2018Germany to keep seeking full implementation of Iran deal
- 13.01.2018UK police arrest woman at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of terror activity
- 13.01.2018Turkey is much safer than the US: Turkish FM
- 30.12.2017Turkey’s first drilling ship passes Gallipoli
- 30.12.2017Spanish PM calls for Catalan parliament to be formed on Jan. 17
- 30.12.2017Greece grants asylum to FETÖ-linked coup soldier
- 29.12.201715 get life sentences over FETO links
- 29.12.2017Turkey, Russia ink $2.5 billion anti-missile system loan deal
- 29.12.2017Italy to vote on March 4, with hung parliament feared