Turkish police arrest 24 in anti-drug operations
At least 24 suspects were arrested in anti-drug operations across Turkey on Saturday, APA reportrs quoting Anadolu Agency.
In the southeastern Diyarbakir province, police seized 565 kilograms (1,245 pounds) of powdered marijuana in operations across the province.
Eight suspects were also arrested on suspicion of drug trafficking, said a police officer who asked not to be named due to restrictions on talking to the media.
In the eastern province of Van, police arrested two suspects after seizing more than 71 kg (156 lb.) of heroin at their residence.
Separately, police in Van arrested two other drug trafficking suspects. More than 38 kilograms of heroin was seized at their address.
In the southern province of Mersin, acting on a tip, security forces stopped a truck traveling from Iraq to Europe carrying fruits and vegetables. After over 56 kg of heroin was found hidden in the truck, the driver was arrested.
In the Aegean province of Izmir, police arrested five people and seized more than nearly two kg of marijuana.
Another five suspects were nabbed in Mudanya in the northwestern Bursa province.
In the southern province of Kahramanmaras, police arrested a suspect allegedly carrying 317 drug pills in the city center.
* Necat Hazar in Van, Sezgin Pancar in Mersin, Ahmet Bayram in Izmir, Omer Birlik in Bursa, Ismail Hakki Demir in Kahramanmaras contributed to this story.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.07.2018Britain to double Western Balkans funding, security staff
- 10.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu to mull Israel-Palestine issue, Syrian conflict
- 10.07.2018Turkish President Erdogan unveils 16-minister cabinet
- 09.07.2018Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit
- 08.07.2018An American family, who promoted Azerbaijan carpet weaving, dies in Georgia
- 08.07.2018UK police officer allegedly exposed to nerve agent poisoning
- 07.01.2018France plans privatization law in asset sale push: PM
- 07.01.2018UK Prime Minister to Announce Government Reshuffle on Monday
- 08.01.2018At least 56 people missing after shipwreck near Sicily
- 06.01.2018Greece orders Macedonian wiretap suspects' extradition
- 06.01.2018Ex-U.N. chief Ban's nephew pleads guilty to U.S. corruption charges
- 06.01.2018Turkish foreign minister talks to US counterpart